RMS Weekly Event Calendar
March 6 - March 10
What's going on this week!
This week we are looking at the final Mindsteps Newletter myth about "high expectations". I hope you have enjoyed reading these as much as I have. I believe these articles are very powerful in improving our understand of "high expectations" and what our role is in changing them!
Do High Standards Equal High Expectations?
The fourth and final myth about high expectations is the High Standards Myth. This myth leads some to equate high standards with high expectations. They argue that if you raise the standards, you will raise teachers’ expectations. Thus, they judge whether a teacher has high expectations for her students by how high her standards are.
Proponents of this myth fail to understand the difference between high expectations and high standards. The difference between an expectation and a standard is that the standard is the bar and the expectation is our belief about whether students will ever reach the bar. Thus, it is possible to have high standards and low expectations.
Raising standards is not the same as raising expectations. Holding students more accountable for more and more information does not change what we believe about their ability to master that information.
The bottom line is that raising standards will not raise expectations. In fact, higher standards may actually lower expectations. If teachers already don’t believe that students are capable of meeting their standards, how will they believe that students will be able to meet newer higher standards once the bar is raised? It’s important to hold students to high standards, but it is even more important to believe -- and take steps to ensure-- that students can actually meet those standards.
Mindsteps Newletter, February 2017
Monday, March 6
- RMS Tennis vs. Florence Middle School - Home - 4:00 p.m.
- RMS Softball vs. Moulton Middle School - Home - 4:30 p.m. - Double Header
Tuesday, March 7
- RMS Baseball vs. Brooks - Home - 4:30 p.m. & 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, March 8
- Vertical Team Meetings (math, science, English, social studies) - RHS Cafeteria - 3:15 - Mrs. Bendall will be sending out an email with additional information.
Thursday, March 9
- RMS Softball vs. Deshler - Away - 4:30 p.m. - Double Header
Friday, March 10
- RMS Scholars Bowl vs. Florence Middle School - Away - 12:30 p.m.
- RMS Tennis vs. Muscle Shoals - Away - 4:00 p.m.
- RMS Baseball vs. Discovery Middle School - Away - 5:00 p.m.
- RMS Softball - RHS Spring Frenzy (March 10 & 11) - Home - TBA