Thursday, Nov. 18, 2021
THE ROAD RACE is just a week away but kids 12 and under will be on the run this Saturday at Manchester High as the Little Manchester Road Race returns. We have information below as well as a peek at the 8U Pop Warner Red Hawks football team that also has a big day ahead Saturday, as they play for a state title. It's a busy time of year but we're doing our best to keep track and if you like OneManchester and want to subscribe just click here.
LITTLE ROAD RACE IS SATURDAY
- There are actually five separate races for kids 12 and younger: 100m, 1/4 Mile, 1/2 Mile, 1 Mile and 2 Miles. All pre-registered children will receive a long sleeve T-Shirt, and medal. Also at MHS that day is a Sports and Fitness Expo. Click here for more.
- Also Saturday, the Silk City Striders will hold their annual “Know Your Pace Race” at 8:30 a.m. Participants are requested to park in the MHS parking lot and then proceed to East Center Street, where there will be registration and the event will start and finish on the south side of the street at the MRR course’s four-mile marker. The entry fee is $5.
THE MAIN EVENT IS JUST A WEEK AWAY
- More than 7600 runners had officially registered as of yesterday.
- The race will be televised live on Fox-61.
- The MRR website has all this and much more.
- On Friday, Nov. 26 from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., there's the Ray Crothers Memorial Blood Drive at Manchester High School
- The Board of Education meets Monday night at 7 in Lincoln Center (although you can also watch and participate remotely). The agenda includes an update on Humanities / STEM PK-4.
- COVID cases are tracked on the district website, which also has the latest on what's being done to keep students and staff safe.
- Fundraisers: The MHS Broadcast News program is offering 31 days of prizes in December (see more here) and the Manchester Adult and Continuing Education Department is giving away 3 Thanksgiving turkeys with 3 winners and 3 ways to enter; click here for details.
Humans Of Manchester
Like the Family Resource Center coordinators at the other elementary schools in town, Shelley-Ann Matthews stresses establishing positive and productive relationships as she works to support students and families at Waddell. She's the latest addition to our gallery, which you will find on Facebook and Instagram and (for those who'd like to read it in a different language ) right here.
The Manchester High chamber orchestra on Monday made its first public performance since January of 2020. The occasion? The swearing in of the new Board of Directors and other elected officials. Nine members of the MHS chamber orchestra participated: Marshia Ahsan, Aureliana Brown, Dara Song, Eden Lewis, Denise Popescu, Merae Gentile, Emma Greenfield, Kyla Melhado and Elayna Espinal.
In The News
The Week Ahead
Thursday, Nov. 18
6 p.m. -- Virtual Public information meeting concerning the proposed Buckland/Spencer Park and Ride Transit Amenities Upgrade.
Friday, Nov. 19
9 a.m. -- Food Drive at St. Mary’s Episcipal Church, 41 Park St.
Saturday, Nov. 20
7:30 a.m -- Road Race Saturday at Manchester High School,134 East Middle Tpke.
Sunday, Nov. 21
1 - 4 p.m. -- MHS Class of ‘22 Project Graduation Fundraiser at Urban Lodge, 47 Purnell Place..
Monday, Nov. 22
7 p.m. -- BoE Meeting at Lincoln Center.
7 p.m. -- Spindle City with CT author Jotham Burrello at Mary Cheney Library.
Tuesday, Nov. 23
6:30 p.m. -- Grief Share at Manchester Church of Christ, 595 Tolland Tpke.
HOLIDAY ON MAIN IS SATURDAY, NOV. 27
Downtown Manchester is holding an outdoor Holiday Market as part of Holiday on Main festivities on Saturday, Nov. 27. (aka Small Business Saturday). Things will be hopping from noon through 3 p.m. with Santa arriving at 3:15. For more info visit the Downtown Manchester Special Services District FB page.
The Angry Egg and the Bennet PTSA student reps are looking to feed six local families this Thanksgiving. Donations will be accepted at the Angry Egg through Friday.
The ASM/Manchester Police Explorers’ 13th Annual Emergency Hunger Food Drive continues at Highland Park Market this weekend.
- Little Theatre of Manchester 's ‘Songs for a New World’ at Cheney Hall ends Sunday.
The Perspective of Home exhibit opens at WORK_SPACE on Dec. 3.
CREC has an ESL Medical Office Assistant training program. Click here for more info
In The Spotlight
- LSU also published this story about Ashleigh prior to the ceremony.