Blue Hills News
From the Desk of the Principal - November 5, 2020
Dear Blue Hills Families,
As November gets underway, there are several important dates and adjustments to our school calendar to note.
- November 11 - NO SCHOOL - Veterans Day
- November 13 - Term One Ends
- November 14 - 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Personal Open House Tours for 8th Graders. Register by going to bluehills.org and click on "Tours." Help us spread the word!
- November 20 - Term One Report Cards Issued
- November 25 - 1/2 Day (Fully Remote)
- November 26 - Thanksgiving Day
Please also carefully review the upcoming calendar through Thanksgiving break. We have adjusted X and Y Days given that we have had to modify our traditional Open House and Showcase events.
A few important notes:
- Chromebook Issues - As the year progresses, it is expected that there will be more students who have technical issues with chromebooks while remote. Please contact IT@bluehills.org as soon as possible. If a student's Blue Hills' email cannot be accessed, please email from an alternate account; phone calls often go missed as IT is not always in the office. Often, issues can be resolved remotely. Where that's not possible, we will try to get you a loaner while your chromebook is repaired.
- Dismissals - If you are dismissing your child on an in-person day, please send a note with them that day or email email@example.com. We are trying to limit the number of people in the building. Thanks!
- Dismissals # 2 - If your child is going to miss a remote class session due to an appointment, please email the teacher and Ms. Pica to either "dismiss" your child or mark your child as "tardy." We still require documentation (doctor's note, etc.) to accurately track attendance. If the main office is not notified, a student may be marked "AWOL" for the class.
- Picking up students at 2:20 - please pull in front of the gym/cafeteria and wait, or park in a parking spot. Please do not block traffic lanes.
Upcoming Schedule - IN-PERSON Days
Class of 2025 - Now Accepting Applications!
Upcoming Admissions Events
- Personal Tours - Saturday, November 14, 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Virtual Open House (Video Releases!) - November 16 - 20
- Priority Application Deadline - December 18, 2020
It is great to see faculty and students showing real-world flexibility to make learning happen no matter the challenges.
Thank you to Ms. Varraso for the picture!
All students will receive free lunch and breakfast through the end of this school year (just announced!)
Students that are learning at home are eligible for meal pickup - please click on the link below to place orders and learn more:
- Please enter the East Entrance (closest to Randolph) and pull in front of the gym/cafeteria for drop off.
- Students dropped off before 7:40 should enter the cafeteria.
- Students dropped off after 7:40 should enter the main entrance.
What remote schedule am I following???
Vocational "Remote" Days - these all look the same! If you are on a vocational week and are remote, simply follow your shop's instructions for the synchronous meeting times (8:30 and 1:30, usually) and work independently or as needed during the day. Failure to attend both synchronous sessions will lead to the student being marked as "absent" and potentially receiving no credit for the day.
Academic "Remote" Days -
- "Blue Days" - Mostly on Mondays and Thursdays. Refer to the released schedule to make sure you have the right day. On these days, you'll meet "live" with periods 1-4. The rest of your day is extra help and independent work.
- "Green Days" - Mostly on Tuesdays and Fridays - Refer to the released schedule to make sure you have the right day. On these days, you'll meet "live" with periods 5-8. The rest of your day is extra help and independent work.
- "Wednesdays" - On Wednesdays, follow the Wednesday schedule! You'll meet with all of your academic classes throughout the day. HINT: We may occassionally use this schedule on other days, or schedule Wednesday to be in-person.
For both vocational and academic "remote" days: Please remember that school runs from 7:48 to 2:20. At any time in this period of time, you can be asked to meet with a teacher, attend a session, or do extra help/support activities. If class begins at 8:30 or 9:00, you may very well have things to do and prepare for prior to the start time. Be diligent in checking your email and google classroom. Getting an education is your "job" right now, and is the best investment you can make at this stage of life!
Blue Hills Regional Technical School
Blue Hills Regional Technical School’s mission is to continue its history of academic achievement, technical training and character development through a curriculum which emphasizes the integration of cutting-edge technical programs and challenging academic courses, enabling its students to become competent, caring and productive people in a diverse and changing world.