About Donna Karan
- Born: October 2, 1948
- Spouse(s): Mark Karan (1976-1978) Stephan Weiss (1983-2001; his death)
- Labels: Donna Karan
- Creator of Donna Karan New York and DKNY clothing labels.
- Her mother was a model and worked in Chester Weinberg's showroom (a designer)
- Her father was a tailor and suit designer
- Lived in Nassau County, New York
- At the age of 14 she dropped out of school and begun selling clothes at a local boutique.
- When to Parsons School of Design (1968)
Training//Start up of career
- She worked for Anne Klein after college
- The head of the design team until 1985 when she launched her Donna Karan line
- Began her career as assistant designer with Anne Klein (1960s)
- Promoted to associate designer (1971)
- Participant in "The Battle of Versailles Fashion Show" (November 28, 1973)
- Klein died 1974 causing Louis Dell'Ollio and Karan became head designer of the house.
Creating her own brand
- 1978 Karan left Klein and started her own business "to design modern clothers for modern people"
- First women's clothing collection in 1985
- 1992 she launched her first perfume
- 1988 she launcher DKNY that was influenced by her first line
- 1990 she developed DKNY skinny jeans
- 1992 she did a men's line
Secrets to Success//Personal traits