Troop 171 Scouting Gazette
January 2020 - SPECIAL TRIP SIGN-UP EDITION
- Swimming Sessions for Rank Requirement AND Swimming Merit Badge
- Klondike Derby Info and Sign-up Link * ACTION REQUIRED ASAP *
- Spring Break Adventures Info and Sign-up Link * ACTION REQUIRED *
- Medicine Mountain Summer Camp Info and Sign-up Link *ACTION REQUIRED *
IMPORTANT REMINDER - please watch for email updates for important trip updates. For example, due to timing and number of Scouts returning from a trip, we may be moving departure and/or return locations!
Swimming Sessions for Rank Requirement AND Swimming Merit Badge
Next session is Thursday, Jan. 16 from 7:00 - 8:30 PM
Swimming Sign-up Link
Scout Mentor Teaching Assistants Needed! We are asking for Scouts in both troops who are strong swimmers to help teach strokes and general help with these sessions. If you can help, please sign up on the link above.
WHERE: East Boulder Community Center Pool
• Entry fee for the recreation center ($5.00)
• Swim goggles <—— VERY HELPFUL!
Thu, Jan 16, 2020 7:00 - 8:30 PM [Session 2]
Thu, Jan 23, 2020 7:00 - 8:30 PM [Session 3]
Thu, Jan 30, 2020 7:00 - 8:30 PM [Session 4]
Thu, Feb 6, 2020 7:00 - 8:30 PM [Session 5]
About This Special Edition of the Troop Newsletter
We have the perfect storm of registration and deadlines for three major trips! There is information on the sign-up links AND on the troop Website for each of these three trips.
IMPORTANT - All three of these trips have quick turnaround sign up requirements due to deadlines by the Wapiti District, Medicine Mountain, and so we can make sure we have enough leaders for spring break.
∞ Klondike Derby [Feb. 21 -23, 2020]
∞ Spring Break Adventures [March 21 - 28, 2020] Note: Paria Canyon will depart Fri., March 20
∞ Medicine Mountain Summer Camp [June 13 - 20, 2020]
Klondike Derby Info and Sign-up Link * ACTION REQUIRED ASAP *
The Klondike Derby is a three-day winter camping event that brings together Scouts and Webelos from the Indian Peaks and Mountain View Districts. Activities featured in the Klondike Derby include an all-day sled race between "cities" with a "gold-rush" days flavor sporting names such as Ft. Yukon, Fairbanks, Dawson, etc. Each city has a competitive specialty in Scout craft skills such as cooking, pioneering, first aid, teamwork, nature, and others. By combining the winter camping experience with the Scout craft competitions, the Klondike Derby provides an opportunity for Scouts to experience new challenges while having a great time. All Scouts from 171 B and 171 G are encouraged to participate!
Venture Crews and SPL Staff - please attend to help us run the First Aid City!
What: Klondike Derby
When: February 21 - 23, 2020
Depart: Friday, Feb. 21, 2020 at 5:30 PM
Return: Sunday at approximately 11:00 AM
Where: Golden Gate State Park [south of Nederland on hwy 72]
Who: Scouts in Troop 171 B and Troop 171 G. Also, Troop adults, Webelos visitors on Saturday and Webelos adults
Activities: Klondike Derby Competition and First Aid City [Venture and SPL Staff]
Food: Troop will provide meals. Patrols will need to plan on a cooked lunch on the sleds.
Cost (billed through Scout Accounts):
• $45.00 per Scout and Adult Leader ($30.00 registration fee plus food)
• $40.00 First Aid City Staff, or OA*member ($25.00 registration fee plus food)
• $10.00 per Webelos And Webelos parents attending on Saturday
Drivers: We need drivers for Friday night and Sunday morning. Mountain driving conditions.
Distance: 30 miles [~1 hour with good roads]
Spring Break Adventures Info and Sign-up Link * ACTION REQUIRED *
Spring Break Adventures are four trips, each one geared to accommodate Scouts of ages, and abilities. PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINKS ABOVE FOR INFORMATION AND TO SIGN UP.
Open to Scouts in Troop 171G and Troop 171B who meet the age and experience requirements listed.
SIGN-UP is needed as soon as possible for both Scouts AND interested adults. To run all of the possible trips we need 3 adults for each of 4 to 5 trips! Parents - if you are interested in going, please sign up.
• SPRING BREAK [March 21- 28, 2020] - Adventures detailed below. Adults: 3 per crew with up to 5 crews!
1. Desert Slot Canyons Mini Adventure [1st and 2nd year Scouts]
2. Dirty Devil River Desert Mini Adventure Plus [Age 12-13 w/previous troop backpacking experience] NEW ADVENTURE THIS YEAR!
3. Paria Canyon High Adventure [Age 14 -17, previous backpacking experience] SIGNUP LIMITED TO 7 Scouts and 3 Adults. Early departure for this trip only: March 20 - 28
4. Desert High Adventure [this is an advanced trip with previous experience]
NOTE - Multiple options exist for this trip including desert canyoneering, rock
climbing and mountain biking. Check with Dave Kreutzer for details and to let
him know any specific choices you have.
Medicine Mountain Summer Camp Info and Sign-up Link * ACTION REQUIRED ASAP *
PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINKS ABOVE FOR INFORMATION AND TO SIGN UP.
Scouts of ALL ages from both Troop 171 G and Troop 171 B are strongly encouraged to attend summer camp at Medicine Mountain Scout Ranch in South Dakota. Now it is time to get confirmed names and payments.
* CAMP DATES: Saturday, June 13 to Saturday, June 20, 2020
* WHO: Open to ALL Scouts in Troop 171G and Troop 171B
* ADULTS: We need adults other than the Scoutmaster staff to help with Boards of Review and other advancement at camp.
* DRIVERS: We will need drivers to and from camp on the dates above. We ALSO will need enough drivers for the out-of-camp excursion on Wednesday.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT PAYMENT DEADLINES - Scouts can sign up for High Adventures and Merit Badges when they have paid a total of $300 for Merit Badges or $375 (or $450) for High Adventures. This is especially important for older Scouts (age 14 and above) who are wanting to sign up for Caving, Climbing, Mountain Biking and ATV's. These classes are limited and FILL FAST!
Eagle Scout Court of Honor - Sunday, January 26, 2020. All Scouts and their families are invited to celebrate several of our Scouts achieving the rank of Eagle Scout. Details to follow.
Klondike Derby - Feb. 21 - 23, 2020 at Golden Gate State Park south of Nederland.
Spring Break Adventures - March 21-28, 2020. This year we are offering multiple backpacking trips for Scouts of all ages:
- Micro Adventure: Harris Wash [ages 11 - 12 w/ Micro Adventure experience]
- Mini Adventure: Dirty Devil River Desert Adventure [ages 12 - 13 w/ previous backpacking trip] <-- NEW TRIP
- High Adventure 1: Paria Canyon [ages 14 - 17 w/ Troop backpacking experience and trip leader approval] March 20 - 28 with a Friday departure
- High Adventure 2: Utah Desert High Adventure [age >14 w/ Troop backpacking experience, rappel training and trip leader approval]
April Campout: April 24 - 26, 2020 destination TBD
May Campout: May 8 - 9, 2020 destination TBD
Summer Camp will take place at Medicine Mountain Scout Ranch June 13-20 in the Black Hills of South Dakota!