The Sequiota Scoop
Monthly School Newsletter - September 2022
A Note from Mrs. Wagner
We've truly enjoyed having your kids back in the building these first couple of weeks. Kids are the reason we're here and engaging with them every day is a delight.
Thank you to our car line families for rocking our new double car line. It's been such a smooth transition due to how courteous you are about merging.
Please plan to join us for Open House/SPS University on Sept. 13th. See the information below for more details.
Galileo Testing started this week and will wrap up next week.
- This year in place of iReady testing our district is using the Galileo benchmark assessments.
What is the Benchmark test?
- An assessment is provided to students that will help us learn what students may already know and what they may not yet know. This information will help us adjust our instruction to meet your child’s needs. The first test of the year will also help us know your child’s “baseline” or starting point on their path of grade-level learning. As our school year unfolds, we will be able to look back on this starting point and see the growth and learning your child has had.
"The skill of composure allows you to be the person you hope others will become. It requires self-control and the belief that the only person you can change is yourself. " Composure is knowing that no one can make you angry without your permission.
One way we practice composure is by S.T.A.R. breathing.
S.T.A.R. stands for Smile, Take a deep breath And Relax.
*See the video below for an explanation of S.T.A.R. breathing.
Resource: A Heart of Compassion and the skill of composure article
You may find more information at https://consciousdiscipline.com/
- This approach is helpful at home and school.
Sept. 13th: Open House/SPS University 5:00-7:00 pm
Sept. 12-16: Book Fair
- students will shop during school hours or you can visit during the book fair.
Sept. 20: Parents as Teachers K-Prep at 5:30 in the Cafeteria
- Parents as Teachers Story Time in the Library at 9:00 am
- General PTA Meeting at 5:00 pm in the cafeteria
October Dates to note:
- Oct. 13: Picture Day
- Oct. 20th: PTA Hosts Trunk or Treat
- Oct. 21st: NO SCHOOL
- Oct. 24-28th: Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Oct. 31st & Nov. 1st: NO SCHOOL
Sequiota Behavior Expectations
CLICK ON THE IMAGE (to the left) TO ACCESS OUR BEHAVIOR MATRIX
This document outlines our behavior expectations for every area of the building.
Teachers will begin teaching these expectations to our students during the first week of school and will continue to reteach these expectations throughout the school year.
Feel free to review these expectations with your children to help reinforce positive choices at school.
Breakfast and Lunch Updates
If your child is eating breakfast at school please arrive no later than 7:00 am so they have plenty of time to eat breakfast in the cafeteria.
Students may pack a lunch but microwaves will not be available.
If you have not yet submitted your application for free/reduced lunches, please click HERE
Reduced Price Breakfast $0.30
Full Price Breakfast $1.60
Reduced Price Lunch $0.40
Full Price Lunch $2.95
Ala Carte Milk $0.65
Menus and how to add money to your student's account can be found here
Please do not send sodas with your child for lunch.
- All visitors must sign in through the hall pass visitor system. This requires a photo i.d. the first time you sign-in.
- Please limit the number of visitors who come for lunch to two adults. Non-SPS siblings should not attend with the visitors.
- Please save these visits for special occasions - students need to interact with their peers at lunch.
- Families must sit at the visitor tables with their child only (other students will not be allowed to sit with you). There are two designated tables to sit at (look for the signs that say "Visitor Table"). Please do not bring food for other students either.
- Please do not wander around the lunch room interacting with all students. This is a connection for you and your child.
- Once we start dumping trash for your child's grade level please say your goodbyes and have them return to their class tables.
- Please show up on time. It's hard for students to watch their peers eat while waiting.
- Please refrain from taking pictures with other students in the background. Some of our students are on a media block and we do not want to dishonor their parent's wishes.
Visitors & Volunteers
In order to be in the building as a visitor during school hours you must register with our visitor management system in the front office. This requires driver's license.
If volunteering for the school during the school hours we ask that you complete the volunteer application and background check.
For more information please visit this website: https://www.sps.org/volunteer OR contact Sara Atkinson our school secretary and volunteer coordinator in the front office.
Download the SPS App on your phone for instant updates, access to eSchool, meal pay, Canvas and more!