The Art of Creating Personalized Learning Environments
JSGS Edition - March 16 - 20, 2015
PLEF Schedule for March 16-20, 2015
Tuesday, March 17th - JSGS
Wednesday, March 18th - Ferndale
Thursday, March 19th - JSGS
Friday, March 20th - WSA
News You Can Use
This is not an evaluation, but a tool to help you identify how you are already personalizing learning and what you can do to further personalize learning in your classroom.
You can find the form that I will be using here. I would also like to see lesson plans, if available, so that I know what to expect. That's not a requirement, but it will help me!
If you have a preference of when you would like me to observe you, please let me know as soon as possible. Otherwise, I will be following up on Monday afternoon with each teacher with a time that I would like to observe.
Also let me know if you have any special areas that you would like feedback on.
Amplify decided to do some Feng Shui-ng of the Support App so it now has a cleaner look:
- "Report An Issue" now says "Report A Problem" and has moved to the right side of the screen.
- Below the "Report A Problem" button is where past cases that have been reported from the tablet via the app will be listed
- Tablet details such as the account email, signal strength, serial number, and current software version are now listed in a 2x2 grid box on the left hand side of the screen.
- The "Check for Updates" now says "Software Updates" with a download arrow icon and has been moved to the left-hand side of the screen.
- Links to the Amplify Knowledgebase and the Tablet Community (teacher tablets only) are now on the left-hand side of the screen above the grid box.
- Removed the "firstname.lastname@example.org" button which would open up either the Gmail or Email app and auto-populate the Tablet Support email address in the "To" field.
* If your Support App doesn't look like the picture below, please use the "Check for Updates" button to pull down the latest version of our software after confirming internet connectivity.
News from C&I (Curriculum and Instruction)
March T&L Session - 4:30 to 6:30 at W. Washington Street Annex
v Deconstructing Science Standards …grade 8 Science March 16, Room 301
Contact Valerie Sellars (email@example.com) if you have any questions
Ecolab Inc. - Visions for Learning Teachers Grants. The goal of the grant program is to encourage and reward individual educators’ creativity and innovation in classroom learning by providing opportunities that will motivate and challenge students intellectually, raise student achievement, as well as increase their understanding of academic content and the connection between school and life. The program provides materials and resources through grants up to $3,000. Please email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you wish to receive an application. ALL applications must be submitted to Ecolab no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 22, 2015.
Additional Math Support PD
All sessions are at Washington St and are geared toward teachers that need extra support looking at specific standards for upcoming units. This sessions are great for new teachers, teachers new to a grade level, or EC teachers.
6th grade: 1:00 – 4:00 Tuesday, March 17th
7th grade: 8:30 – 11:30 Tuesday, March 17th
8th grade: 8:30 – 11:30 Thursday, March 19th
Math I: 1:00 – 4:00 Thursday, March 19th
Think Through Math Spring Competition (Middle School only)
- Dates: February 23-April 3
- Eligibility: Students currently enrolled in the online remediation program (Think Through Math) will compete in the contest.
- Competition: A student must have at least 1 lesson completed and 1 lesson passed to be eligible for the weekly and Grand Prize award.
- Each week, all eligible students will be entered into a random drawing to be chosen as a winning student, based on the number of completed and passed lessons during the week.
- Weekly Prize: Three (3) randomly chosen students will each win a $20 Domino’s Pizza e-gift card.
- Grand Prize: The student with the highest total of passed lessons during the contest time frame will be awarded the Grand Prize (Dr. Dre Beats- HD Headphones)
Please click here to view the winners from the fall competition. If you have any questions regarding the contest or the virtual program, do not hesitate to contact Rashad Slade, Director of Instructional Technology & Innovation at email@example.com or 336-279-4921.
Global Ambassadors Program
The GCS Global Education Team invites educators to become the Global Ambassadors at their schools.
The Global Ambassador at each school will be the active contact between the school and the GCS Global Education Team. Roles and responsibilities include communicating to the school information about different global learning opportunities for students and educators as well as sharing with the GCS Global Ed. Team about different initiatives happening at the Global Ambassador's school.
After registration and successful completion of these roles, the Global Ambassadors will receive 20 PD hours per year of service, applicable to the 100 hours required for the NC Global Educator Digital Badge (GEDB) Program.
School staff members interested in applying to become their schools’ Global Ambassador can follow this link to apply: Global Ambassadors Application
Please submit your application no later than March 16, 2015. Selected candidates will be notified by March 20.
Direct any questions about the Global Ambassadors program to Liliana Jordanov, World Languages and Global Education Coordinator.
To learn more about the NC Global Educator Digital Badge, contact Tonisha Walden, Director of Professional Development or Liliana Jordanov. You can also visit the GEDB Program webpage for information and application.
Words of Wisdom
- Create (or request help making) a MakerSpace or in your classroom.
- Use Augmented Reality in a lesson. I'd love to see it live or in pictures!
- Tell me how you're incorporating digital citizenship in your classroom.
- Request help, modeling, motivation, resources, etc. in implementing PLE in your classroom.
To receive your prize, send me an email with the subject line "Challenge Accepted" and details of your challenge.