Mental Health Awareness Month
Your mind controls all...
Mental health is one of the most important components to your overall wellness. If you are not mentally well, other aspects of your health will suffer. Taking care of your mind is just as important as taking care of your body. This month, try to focus on ways to nourish your mental health.
Stay connected with family & friends
Making sure that you build and keep healthy relationships with your loved ones is a mental health wellness tip that goes a long way in working to maintain long-term mental health wellness. Give yourself at least an hour each day to call, text, Skype/Zoom/Facetime your loved ones and catch up!
Take time to meditate
Meditation helps you relax the body and the mind. Even one minute of meditation in the middle of your workday will help improve mental health wellness!
Here is a 10 Minute Mindfulness Meditation brought to you by Calm:
Take care of your body
Here is a simple workout you can try at home, no equipment needed.
(Warm up) Jog or march in place 2 Minutes
Squats - 10-15 reps
Reverse lunges - 10-12 reps on each leg
Pushups (on the knees or toes) -10-12 reps
Dips - 10-12 reps
Walking lunge - 10-12 reps
Front Plank - Hold 1 Minute (or as long as you can)
Left Side Plank - Hold 1 Minute (or as long as you can)
Right Side Plank - Hold 1 Minute (or as long as you can)
(Repeat 2 more times)
Challenge your brain
Here are some brain stimulating activities you can try:
- Word searches
- Board games like Scrabble, Monopoly, Risk
- Card games like Solitaire, Gin Rummy, Poker
- Get Creative! Make a scrapbook, paint a picture or learn a new skill like crocheting.
Online Brain-Stimulating Games:
Maintain a healthy diet
Here is a healthy recipe you can try!
12 oz. linguine
2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise
1 small eggplant, sliced lengthwise
1 red pepper, halved
1 yellow pepper, halved
1 red onion, cut into rounds
2 tbsp. olive oil
Grated Parmesan and chopped basil, if desired
- Heat grill on medium-high. Cook linguine per package directions.
- Meanwhile, brush zucchini, eggplant, peppers, and red onion with oil and season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Grill until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into pieces.
- Toss linguine with grilled vegetables, drizzling with more oil as desired. Top with grated Parmesan and basil.
For tips on buying and preparing food during the COVID-19 pandemic, click here!
Practice deep breathing exercises.
Learn 3 effective deep breathing exercises here!
Take care of your sleep hygiene
A major component of mental wellness is to be sure to sleep well. This prevents fatigue, which can have a negative impact on mental wellness.
Here are some tips to get to sleep faster:
- Increase bright light exposure by spending more time outside or opening up your blinds.
- Don't drink caffeine after 3pm. If you like to enjoy an afternoon coffee or tea, make it decaf!
- Reduce irregular or long daytime naps as they may affect your circadian rhythm.
- Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Don't eat late in the evening, make your cut-off 2 hours before bedtime.
- Use relaxation techniques to clear your mind, whether its breathing exercises or muscle relaxation, focusing your mind on something besides your thoughts will help you go to sleep faster.
- Take a warm bath or shower before bed, this will help to relax your muscles.
- Exercise regularly- but not before bed!
- Don't drink liquids before bed to ensure you won't wake up in the middle of the night to use the restroom.
Take breaks during the day.
When you are running at 100% all day, you get exhausted. That exhaustion will make you anxious and emotional. If you take breaks, you will be able to handle stress and keep a healthy mind.
Here are some things you can do during your breaks:
- Go for a walk
- Have a healthy snack
- Enjoy a cup of tea or glass of water
- Pet your dog/cat
- Read a chapter of a book
- Watch a TED Talk
- Do a quick workout
- Listen to music
Pay it forward!
If you're interested in making a donation, click here!