Iraq & Afghanistan War
Bush's involvement in War on Terror
- publicly began on Sept. 11, 2001
- It involving open and covert military operations, new security legislation, efforts to block the financing of terrorism, and more
- Bush asserted that "either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."
- Many governments joined campaign and adopted harsh new laws
- Bush believed that the threat of U.S. power had lost credibility with terrorists due to irresolute responses to attacks during the 1990's.
The 13th Secretary of State, Donald Rumsfeld, sought to remind the American people of the 9/11 attacks and threats against Americans, noting at one time in a 2006 memo to "make the American people realize they are surrounded in the world by violent extremists."