Monarchs cycle is really short as you can see here. Monarchs lay their eggs on upside down to get there eggs out of the sun and to not show predators where the eggs are and they are in this stage for 3-4 days days as a egg, In this stage caterpillars eat so much because there is nothing else to do and to store up for the pupa stage because the pupa stage is so much work when spinning and wiggling. The larva is in this stage for 10-14 days as a larva. Caterpillars hang upside down because the silk comes out of the other end and it takes this long to transform in a young monarch and if it is past 48 hours due then it is dead and it takes 10-14 days as a pupa. This is the longest time in there life it is where they make new generations of monarchs and because they travel so 2000 miles to mexico and the generation later back to USA and this is how long they live for 2-6 weeks as an adult.
Monarchs hanging upside down
There are only 4 types of monarchs and they are called,the queen,the monarch,the viceroy,the Arizona viceroy. They are all different looking but the only difference with the monarch in the female and male.The queen monarch can be a boy and a girl monarchs.
Milk weed population has gone down 21% and that's their only resource to live that where they put their eggs and eat and 96.5 % of the population of butterfly have dropped because of that. Ants and spiders eat their eggs and young larva and birds and wasps eat adult butterflies and they also can die on their migration because they can get lost and lost over the sea not eat for a while and lots of other things!
Monarchs have a poison called cardiac glycosides, but some birds and animals are also immune to the milkweed also. to Another reason is that monarchs are a vast food source to other animals and insects in the ecosystem.Having a large amount of monarchs in one area is a sign that it is a healthy ecosystem example is the monarch migration,Monarchs play a big role by being a source of food to others and pollinating flowers for more flowers to grow, without them the food chain would break and a massive decrease would happen in the ecosystem, they control the producers and pollination as well and they provide energy for the secondary consumers.
Forming a pack
Researchers say that monarchs travel to mexico by following other or there scent gland as a road to mexico or back north and they is only one road coming together and i predict that they will eventually come together one by one to form a group to lead each other to mexico or back north, if the monarch is in the pupa stage and it has been black and orange for over 48 hours it is probably dead.
Do they need a Pack?
I predict that They don’t really need travel in a group, sure it would probably safer but they will form a group eventually and they just meet up in states and mexico, Monarchs travel in group to keep warm and keep together to look big and stay warm overnight. Their communication is through scents and color which is how they find there mate but i predict that is how they find there way to mexico and back north.
Wasps and Monarchs
The population around the globe
The christitis part of life cycle
The population around the globe
- Monarchs can fly 4 to 12 mile per hour.
- They can travel 260 miles in a day.
If the weather gets too cold for the monarchs in there cystitis they come out even if there wing aren’t formed.
Monarchs have scales and they can fly without a lot of scales.
Monarchs can overheat,all creatures can so they retreat to shade.
All monarchs are durinals.Monarchs are still at night and even though they don’t have eyelids so researchers don’t really know but they guess they sleep.
- If the weather gets too cold for the monarchs in there cystitis they come out even if there wing aren’t formed.
- Monarchs have scales and they can fly without a lot of scales.
- Monarchs can overheat,all creatures can so they retreat to shade.
- All monarchs are durinals.
- Monarchs are still at night and even though they don’t have eyelids so researchers don’t really know but they guess they sleep.
- Female monarchs come out of diapause earlier so they are bigger than the male because the male comes out later.
- The bright orange and black colors mean stay away.
When the caterpillars grows it will grow 2,700 times its size.
After the monarch is out of its chrysalis it eats it after it hatches in 4 or 5 molts.
I sheds its skin every 10 to 12 hours.
A caterpillar can eat an entire milkweed leaf in 5 minutes.
There communication is by scent and color.
Wings fun facts
Monarchs cannot fly in the rain.
Monarchs are in all sorts everywhere but russia and africa.
Monarch wings are thin but strong but they can be worn out ripped and scratched but they can still fly.
Researchers studied that larva and butterflies do hear sound.
Monarchs breathe through the tiny openings on the side of their body called spiracles but they don’t have lungs.
Research say that monarchs do have brains and all insects do.
- Monarchs eat nectar and water and sometimes they eat liquid from fruit and the larvae only eat milkweed.
- Adult monarch sip nectar out of the flower like a straw and it is called probiosis.
- The monarch is a herbivore on the food chain.
- Monarchs know that a milkweed is a milkweed by using a combination of visual and chemical cues to find it, they use sensory organs on their feet and head to find and know that it is a milkweed.
- Monarchs eat milk weed because it is poisonous to some creatures and there have the white latex in them which makes them poisonous and stores it in there body for life.