William Paca Weekly PD Newsletter
Issue #8 January 8, 2016
Dates to Remember
- January 4, 2016- January 22, 2016 Amplify MOY Window
- January 6, 2016 Start the window for WIDA testing
- January 13, 2016 Staff Meeting
- January 18, 2016 NO SCHOOL
- January 18, 2016 Report Cards due to Admin.
- January 20, 2016 New Teacher Meeting
- January 20, 2016 Network Visit
- January 21, 2016 Network Visit
- January 21, 2016 FCE Meeting
Upcoming PD Opportunities
Free Professional Development
Maryland State-Wide Book Study
Registration is now open for a book study featuring, "Personalized PD: Flipping Your Professional Development". A book study is about a conversation intended to stretch thinking and influence practice. Book studies can be an effective form of professional learning and can be used by educators at all levels for their personal and professional growth.
The book study will begin January 11th. You will need to purchase your own copy of the book.
The book study will be offered on three platforms (Facebook, Twitter, or Edmodo).
Each month will include a discussion around book related topic:
January - Teacher's Perspective
February - Flipped PD
March - Empowered Learner
April - Celebrations and Next Steps
Monthly topics will include an overall idea, questions for discussion, activities for the individual teacher, and a challenge activity involving other educators from your school/district.
CPD/MSDE credits will NOT be awarded for completion of the book study. However, at the end of the study there will be an opportunity to learn about earning "points" toward CPD/MSDE credits.
Register for Book Study: Click Here
Spring 2016 Online Courses
Registration for spring 2016 online courses has started and will run through February 3rd. All courses count for CPD credits and can be used toward re-certification. These asynchronous classes provide a flexible way for teachers to learn and earn credits. For more information and to see the spring catalog, go to https://msde.blackboard.com.
ELA & Technology Tuesday Webinar Series
The MSDE English Language Arts Office is hosting a series of webinars focusing on using technology in the classroom. Attached you will find the series schedule along with registration information. Register at: http://bit.ly/ELATechTuesdaysRegistration.
Maker Mondays Webinar Series
The Maker movement is continuing to grow, especially in Maryland. Makerspaces can be used at all instructional levels. This webinar series will provide information on how to implement Makerspace into the school day to align with the standards, how to start a Makerspace, and how to manage a Makerspace. Attached you will find the listing of all the webinars in the series along with registration information. Register here: www.bit.ly/MakerMondaysWebinars
Virtual EdCamp MD
We are so excited to provide a free way for educators to receive professional learning without travel! The first ever Virtual EdCamp MD is being held on January 9th from 9-11:30 am. Virtual EdCamp MD will allow participants to create sessions on the day of event and move (virtually) to different breakout rooms. Session topics and themes develop from organic discussions from educators.
Registration is now open! Please go to sites.google.com/site/virtualedcampmd to register and get more information. We will be in need of volunteers to help on the day of the event as virtual room attendants. If anyone is interested in helping, please contact Casey Kirk email@example.com.
Registration for Edcamp Maryland is now open! On February 15th, we are hosting four locations across the state to support teachers in discussion, collaboration, and networking! You are cordially invited to attend an Edcamp at a location of your choice.
If you are interested, please register: edcampmaryland2016.eventbrite.com
· Diagnostics were released in December. The state is asking for early adopters that would receive financial benefits for next SY. Diagnostics are being developed for grades 2 – 8. K-2 formatives have been released as well.
· The Partnership Resource Center has launched and now houses K-2, speaking and listening, released items and links to the diagnostic tools. She the attached state-specific invitation. It includes an overview of the PRC and instructions on how to register, including a state-specific registration code.
· Click here for flyer.
Released Item Teacher Voice Videos
· PARCC has worked in partnership with several national teacher voices organizations (such as NNSTOY, America Achieve, TeachPlus, and others) to develop a video campaign of teachers sharing how they plan to use PARCC’s released test items in their classrooms. The attached document “calling all teachers” includes a brief overview of the project and a guide for creating an item release video clip. PARCC would love ELC voices to be part of this campaign! Click here for more information.