Ms. Jennings's 1st Grade Newsflash
September 25, 2015
I am so very grateful for all the parents willing to attend this trip, unfortunately I can only take two parents. I will put all names in a box and draw the two names out. Rest assured, 1st grade is taking a field trip to Kaleidoscope in April, and we will need many more helpers for that trip.
What's Been Going On This Week...
- Reading--This week, we have continued to focus on main idea and supporting details within non-fiction texts. We have completed our first unit in our Benchmark series. Our second unit will be analyzing characters in fiction pieces. Please continue to have your child read as part of your nightly routine.
- Phonics/Sight Words--We have completed the s-blend unit for phonics. These are words that begin with sc, sl, sm, sn, sp, st, sw. As you are reading with your child, encourage them to look for words that have blends that we have been studying.
Next week, our focus is on the final -s family blends. nest, desk, wasp. Some words you could practice with your child are: nest, mask, past, crisp, last, trust, clasp, must. One hint is to really focus on stretching the words out...like a piece of bubble gum...so the kiddos hear all sounds and record the sounds in order. That is much more helpful for kids to analyze word sounds and parts rather than memorizing them.
Sight words: Fort Osage uses the Fry Sight Word Lists. First grade is expected to master the first 100 words by the END of 1st grade. The link will take you to a website that has printable lists for sight words.
- Math--We have finished our first subtraction concepts unit and took our assessment on Thursday. Next week, we will begin a unit on place value, which will take us to the end of the quarter!!
- Writer's Workshop--We recently launched writer's workshop and have been busy collecting ideas for stories. The kiddos have written and illustrated stories about things the like and ways they help people. Next week, we will continue with coming up with ideas and adding more details.
- Leader in Me--We are always revisiting Habit 1--Be Proactive, I'm in Charge of Me. The Cookie Monster video is a fun way to help reinforce self-control. Next week, we will look at habit 5...seek first to understand, then be understood. This one is my favorite and a hard one. The students will be learning how it's important to listen to other people's point of view.
Specials~Sept. 28 to October 2
- September 28--Music/PE
- September 29--Library
- September 30--PE/Music
- October 1--Art
- October 2--Music/PE
- October 1--Picture day!
- October 12--No School~Professional Development
- October 28--Fall Parties
- October 28--Parent/Teacher conferences 4-8 pm.
- October 29--No School. Parent/Teacher conferences 8 am to 8 pm.
- October 30--No School
- December 3--1st Grade Program...How the Penguins Saved Christmas
- December 11--Field Trip to Coterie Theatre to see A Charlie Brown Christmas