A PRINCIPAL UPDATE FOR OUR CHANDLER FAMILIES
October 1, 2021
I can't believe it's already October! We've truly enjoyed the last 7 1/2 weeks with your sweet kiddos! We loved having so many of our families here with us for Academic Night and our General PTA meeting! Please consider joining our Chandler PTA if you haven't already. Your membership directly impacts student learning here at Chandler.
We have many things coming up within the next several weeks. Please continue to follow our grade level and principal/PTA communications. We do not want you to miss out!
As a reminder, students do not have school on Monday, Oct. 11th or Tuesday, Oct. 12th.
Thank you for sharing your children with us!
Have a great weekend!
Save the Date!
10/1- Crazy Hat Day!
10/4-10/8 - Fire Safety Week
10/5 - Chick-Fil-A Spirit Day
10/5 - Fall Pictures
10/6 - Walk to School Day
10/6-10/8- Sky Ranch - 5th Grade
10/11 - No School
10/12 - No School for Students
10/14- Reading with the Eagles
10/18-10/22 - Fall Book Fair
10/19- Donuts with Dudes
10/19 - General PTA Meeting & Cultural Night
10/22 - Cheetah Champions
10/25 - Parent Conference Day- No School for Students
10/26-10/29 - Red Ribbon Week
10/29 - Storybook Character Dress Up Day
11/2 - Chick-Fil-A Spirit Day
11/11 - Veteran's Day Program
11/17 - Fall Picture Retake Day
11/18 - 1st Grade Thanksgiving Plays
11/18- Kindergarten Thanksgiving Play
11/19 - Early Student Release Day 12:00 p.m.
11/22-11-26 - Thanksgiving Break- No School
12/7 - Chick-Fil-A Spirit Day
12/14- Kindergarten Performance
12/16- Polar Express Day
12/17- Winter Class Parties
12/17 - Early Student Release Day 12:00 p.m.
Ways to Get Involved
Chandler Dad's Club & WatchDOG Program
If you are (or know) a dad, grandpa, uncle or other male role model of a student at Chandler and you haven't joined our Dad's Club, please send an email to email@example.com to join! This will put you on our email list so you can receive information about volunteer opportunities at Chandler and find out how to spend a day with your student at the school as part of the WatchDOG program.
Fall Individual Picture Day- Tuesday, Oct. 5th
***There will be NO LUNCH VISITORS on Tuesday, October 5th. We will be using the multipurpose room for pictures and cannot accommodate lunch visitors. ***
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Chandler Fall Book Fair (October 18th- October 22nd)
It's almost time for the Chandler Fall Book Fair! The kids absolutely LOVE Book Fair week and the excitement that comes with it -- popcorn, fun prizes, and of course, BOOKS!!!
Book Fair volunteers help kids find great books, check kids/parents/teachers out, make popcorn, unpack and replenish books, help with setup and tear down, and have fun with other volunteers.
We need lots of help, so don’t be shy. Please click the link below and sign-up for the slot that works for you!
*As a reminder, all school volunteers must complete the Allen ISD Volunteer/Background Application and be cleared. Click on the link below to fill out the application if you have yet to register for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Parents are welcome to eat lunch with their own children in a designated area.
We do have specific days in which we ask for no lunch visitors.
We also do not allow parents to join their students for lunch on state testing days.
When you arrive for lunch, you will need to sign in with the receptionist and then proceed to the MPR (multi-purpose room)
For security purposes and to avoid hurt feelings of other students, only your own children will be allowed to sit with you.
You are welcome to bring in an outside meal for your student and/or yourself only.
If purchasing a tray, please have your child order your meal at the beginning of the day in order to have enough food prepared.
We will have expectations that need to be followed, and at no time will lunch visitors be allowed to go in the cafeteria.
Emergency Broadband Benefit
Nurse Joseph will be performing the following state required screenings:
Vision Screenings: Kindergarten, 1st grade, 3rd grade, 5th grade and students new to AISD.
Hearing Screenings: Kindergarten, 1st grade, 3rd grade, 5th grade and students new to AISD
Spinal Screenings: Spinal screening is required for girls in 5th grade and for some girls ages 10 and 12. Notification of this screening will be sent home in advance. If you prefer to have your student screened by your physician or wish to request an exemption, please contact your school nurse.
Acanthosis Nigricans: 1st grade, 3rd grade, 5th grade will be screened for Acanthosis Nigricans, a condition that signals high levels of insulin in the body. This screening is done by looking and feeling the skin on the back of the neck. If the first screening is positive, it will be followed by checking the student’s height, weight, and blood pressure. For more information go to the ANTES web site or contact your school nurse.
Abnormal results to any of the screenings will be sent home, with a section to be completed by a health care provider. Please contact Nurse Joseph if you have any questions.
Watch D.O.G.S Dad Volunteer Program
- Watch DOGS stands for "Dads of Great Students" and are volunteer dads, grandfathers, uncles, adult male role models who assist on campus with carpool lines, lunch duty, learning games or reading with students, & helping in P.E., music, art, and recess!
- If you’d like to volunteer to be a Watch DOG, there is a link to our Chandler Watch DOG Calendar and a Google "Request A Date" Form on our Chandler website. Potential Watch DOGS can check there to see if a preferred date is open, then submit the form requesting the date of your choice. Mrs. Horton, Counselor, will reply back confirming your date.
- On your confirmed date, you'll arrive at Chandler at 7:30am to check in at the front office and receive your schedule for the day. You will be volunteering through your child's lunchtime where you can enjoy lunch with your child. You are welcome to stay through the end of our lunch periods (1:00pm) if you'd like, or once your child's lunchtime is finished, you can head out to enjoy your afternoon!
- All Watch DOGS must have a cleared and current school year Allen ISD background check, so we encourage you to take care of this now! Navigate to https://www.allenisd.org/Page/214 to register to become a volunteer.
- Any questions, contact Dawn Horton, Chandler Counselor at Dawn.Horton@allenisd.org.
Fire Prevention Week is October 4-8 – The Sounds of Fire Safety
- Allen ISD and the Allen Fire Department are partnering together to teach fire safety and prevention skills the week of October 4-8.
- Remember to test your smoke alarms regularly – the AFD recommends once each month!
- Check to be sure you have a smoke alarm in every bedroom, outside the sleeping areas (hallway), and on each level of your home.
- Make sure everyone in your home knows the sound of the alarm and to get out & stay out when they hear it!
- Plan ahead by practicing your home fire escape drill. Have an agreed-upon outside meeting place a safe distance away from your home where firefighters can easily find you.
- Congratulations to Julian Thomas (2nd grade) and Aubrey Wilson (4th grade) for winning the Allen Fire Department’s Poster & Bookmark Contest!
- Check out https://www.cityofallen.org/2170/Fire-Prevention-Week for fire safety tips & activities to share with your family.
Chandler Chick Fil A Spirit Day – Tuesday, October 5th
We hope you’ll stop by the Stacy Road Chick Fil A on Tuesday for a meal or a treat! Every purchase where someone says “we’re DINING FOR CHANDLER” gives us a portion back for our Kids Against Hunger service project! You can stop by anytime on Tuesday that they are open, dine in or drive through! Thanks for your support!
Chandler Cheetah Chasers
What? Come join the fun as we start another season of Cheetah Chasers Running/Walking Club. Walk, jog or run your way to being fit for life.
When? Every Tuesday after school, 2:55-4:00pm.
Starting on Tuesday, October 5, 2021
Session 1 is from October 5th – December 14th
Session 2 is from January 11th – April 26th
Both sessions are included in your one time sign up!
How? Click on the link and fill it out completely.
Cheetah Chaser Sign UP
Thank you to everyone that signed up for the
21 Day Challenge!
- Remember that it takes 21 days to create a habit, whether it is healthy eating, exercising, or anything else.
- We met our goal and had 82% people signed up.
- Just keep in mind that you still must fill out the survey at the end of October for us to be able to win money for Field Day Inflatables!
Learn more about participating in our Storybook Pumpkin Fun here.
- We are excited to host author Chris Barton on November 2nd. Thank you to our generous PTA for sponsoring this event for our students. If you have any books by Chris Barton, your student can bring them on November 2nd to be autographed. Check out his website for a complete list of his books: https://chrisbarton.info/books.html
- Check out the Allen Public Library’s October calendar
- Would you like to dedicate a library book to your child on their birthday? Learn more about our Birthday Bears & Books Program here: https://www.allenisd.org/Page/2701 Please note that payment is only accepted on SchoolPay this year.
- If you are interested in volunteering the Chandler Library this school year please email Mrs. Rios at Carrie.Rios@allenisd.org for more information.
Students have the opportunity to enter art contests throughout the year. Currently there are two open contests. The Keep Allen Beautiful Recycled Art contest and a Greeting card contest are open to all Allen ISD students. Details for both can be found on the Chandler art faculty website or through the QR code below.
Please review the health and safety measures for the 2021-2022 school year