- Homosexuality has become more accepted by society as a whole
- It has become acceptable in media to display non-traditional families and relationships
- Studies have shown that same-sex couples are just as good parents as anyone else and that the children of same-sex parents are identical to those raised in nuclear families
- 36 states allow gay marriage, 9 have explicitly banned it
- 27 states protect same-sex couples right to adoption, 5 have banned it
- 20 states have outlawed discrimination based on sexual orientation
- Hate crimes based on sexual orientation outnumber those based on religion and nationality.
What rights do we want?
- Right to marry/civil union: This effects how taxes are handled, inheritance, credit, guarantees hospital visitations and makes it easier to adopt
- Protection from harassment: In many states it is completely legal to fire an employee, not hire someone in the first place or deny a client service or product, and even refuse entry into school due to their sexual background
- Equal rights: We simply ask that unless somebody has committed a violent crime, they should be treated the same as the majority, this applies to all groups of people. The LGBT community has not asked for "special rights".