BHS School Counseling Newsletter
The School Counseling Department would like to welcome all of you back for the 2019-2020 school year. For those of you who are new to BHS, the School Counseling Department shares a newsletter each quarter with the school community in order to communicate important news, dates and programs. As school counselors, we are dedicated to supporting our students academically, personally and socially as well as assisting students with their college/career planning. We strive to help students become active learners and self-advocates. We look forward to working with all students, parents and teachers this year.
Upcoming Dates and Deadline
October 1-15th- AP Exam Registration
October 4th-Mid-point of the quarter
October 7th- Advanced Course Network registration is open for the spring course offerings.
October 22nd-Late Registration deadline for the November 7th SAT
October 23rd-Financial Aid Night
October 25th- ACT
November 8th-End of the first marking Period
November 8th- Registration deadline for the December 7th SAT and December 14th ACT
November 14th-Collegiate Athletic Workshop
December 7th - SAT
December 14th- ACT
- Counselors have spent the month of September meeting their freshmen and explaining their role which includes providing support to students in three domains: academic, personal/social and college/career. We will meet again in the Spring for a formal check in, but all students are encouraged to seek out their counselor out when necessary!
- COMING SOON: Individual Learning Plans will be introduced in the freshman Biology Classes. Students will utilize the "Richer Picture" platform to create their ILP. Students will have the opportunity to establish three goals (one in each domain), begin adding information to their resume and complete a personality inventory.
- Last year, sophomores began their Individual Learning Plan (ILP) on the "Richer Picture" platform. We are currently updating our ILPs to reflect the new state regulations. Stay tuned for more information regarding the ILPs.
- To assist with planning ahead, please note that sophomores will be taking the PSAT 10 in the spring during the school day. More information will be posted as the test date gets closer.
- We recently had the BHS-Mt. Hope College Fair on 9/24 at Barrington High School from 4:30-6:30 pm. This was a great way to connect with college admissions counselors and learn about many colleges and universities. We had a great turn out! Please keep an eye out for any upcoming college fairs in the local area!
- Please check the website to view when college admissions counselors are visiting BHS (The calendar is located at the bottom of the webpage). Students can sign up to attend a presentation on our X2 page. Students pick up a pass in the School Counseling office on the morning of the presentation.
- In November counselors will be meeting with all juniors in order to help them develop a schedule for taking the SATs and/or ACTs as well as to help them begin their college/career exploration.
- To assist with planning ahead, please note that Juniors will be taking the SAT on Thursday, April 9th during the school day. More information will be posted as the test date gets closer.
- Senior Seminars were held during Health Classes 9/23-10/1. Counselors assisted seniors with updating their resumes and Individual Learning Plans on Naviance, continuing their career exploration and creating/continuing their Common Application online. Please see the presentation to reference directions on how to navigate the college application process.
- Please check the website to view when college admissions counselors are visiting BHS. Students can sign up to attend a presentation on our X2 page. Students pick up a pass in the School Counseling office on the morning of the presentation.
- Counselors will be meeting with all seniors individually in order to finalize their career/college plans.
- Applying to a college or university that is not on the Common Application? Please complete a Transcript Request Form on our the high school's website.
Click on "Menu" at the top of the page
Then click the Plus sign next to "School Counseling"
Select "Transcript Request Form"
and then your School Counselor's Name
Need Help Understanding Financial Aid and FAFSFA?
- October 23rd - Financial Aid Night, 7:00 pm in the BHS Library - Courtney McEntee, the Assistant Director of the College Planning Center of RI, will be presenting an overview of the Financial Aid process
- Courtney McEntee will return to BHS from 8:00 am - 11:00 in the School Counseling Office on November 14th and 18th and will be available to meet with students and parents individually about the Financial Aid Process and completing the FAFSFA. Interested parents/students must make an appointment to meet with Courtney. Please contact Mrs. Brenda Lamanna in the School Counseling Office to schedule your appointment (247-3154).
- Visit the RISLA College Planning Center's website and schedule an appointment with a representative at one of their locations (Lincoln and Warwick).
Student Assistance News
Hope Club (Helping Others Protect Each Other)
The HOPE club’s mission is to empower young people to successfully confront the risks and pressures that challenge them throughout their daily lives. The club fosters a sense of belonging and promotes leadership and advocacy skills to help young people make positive life decisions. New Members are Always Welcome! Please see Mrs. Royley in the School Counseling office if your interested in joining the HOPE club.
October 4th OPIOID EPIDEMIC ASSEMBLY- Seniors took part in a presentation about the dangers of opioid addition. It was presented by David Neil from the R.I. U.S. Attorney's office along with three speakers who graciously shared their personal stories of addiction and recovery.
November 7th-MANDATORY FRESHMAN 7 PARENT NIGHT ABOUT ADOLESCENT SUBSTANCE USE. -information will be mailed soon!