What do dietary guidelines do for Americans?
Health risk is the likelihood you have to develop certain health related issues.
Your diet is your eating plan.
Get enough nutrients within your calorie needs
- Your age, gender, activity level, and whether you are trying to lose, gain, or maintain your weight all determine your calorie needs.
- Nutrient-dense foods have less calories and offer more vitamins and minerals.
How to maintain a healthy weight
- A risk factor is something that makes you more likely to develop a health issue.
- Too much body fat can lead to problems such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, some types of cancer, and arthritis.
- People who are underweight often don't have the nutrients they need to survive. They can experience fatigue due to not having extra fat to store energy for them.
- To lose weight, it is important to decrease calorie intake and increase exercise amount.
Suggestions for being physically active every day
- Active living helps reduce the likelihood of developing health problems related to being overweight. Another way that active living is helpful is it boosts your self-confidence because you are helping yourself reach goals.
- A teen should get 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity everyday.
- Helping with chores or joining a sports team are two easy ways to be more active everyday.
Importance of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and milk
- All four of these types of foods are nutrient rich and cholesterol free. They also help prevent certain health risks.
- Diabetes can develop from a high fat diet.
- Reading food labels to make sure the foods you eat are low in fat can help make sure you have a lower fat intake. You should also limit your calories from fat to about 25 to 35 percent of your daily calories.
How to limit fats and cholesterol
- Saturated and trans fats raise your "bad" cholesterol.
- High cholesterol puts you at risk for developing heart disease.
- Read food labels to make sure you aren't consuming too much saturated and trans fats.
Be choosy about carbohydrates
- Foods, such as fruits, have a lot of natural sugars in them. However, they have a lot of vitamins and minerals.
- Food with added sugars aren't a great place to get your carbohydrates. These foods have a lot of calories but don't offer the same benefits as natural sugars.
- You should limit your sugar intake because you have to burn off these calories so they won't be stored as fat. Sugars also cause tooth decay.
Why reduce sodium and increase potassium?
- Sodium controls body fluids.
- Excess sodium can lead to high blood pressure and stroke.
- Potassium lowers blood pressure.
- Alcohol hinders judgement.
- It puts you at a higher risk for injuries.
- It also has nothing nutritional for you.
- Food safety prevents the contamination of food. Contaminated food can lead to illnesses such as e.coli.