Thank you from w.a.n.g
PO Box 5722, Austin, TX 78763-5722
OUR NEXT NEIGHBORHOOD MEETING....December 4th
Tuesday, Dec. 4th, 6:30pm
2500 Exposition Boulevard
Please join us at the Howson Library
(the first Tuesday of each month!)
To get an item on the Agenda, send email to President@WestAustinNG.com
Optional RSVP below if you would like to let us know you are planning to attend and receive an agenda as it becomes available (usually the day of the meeting)
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Contact CITY COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES
Contact your City Council Representatives:
(click on name to send email)
- Mayor: Steve Adler 512-978-2100
- District 1: Ora Houston 512-978-2101
- District 2: Delia Garza 512-978-2102
- District 3: Sabino Renteria 512-978-2103
- District 4: Gregorio Casar 512-978-2104
- District 5: Ann Kitchen 512-978-2105
- District 6: Jimmy Flanigan 512-978-2106
- District 7: Leslie Pool 512-978-2107
- District 8: Ellen Troxclair 512-978-2108
- District 9: Kathie Tovo 512-978-2109
- District 10: Alison Alter 512-978-2110
Email All of the Council: Entire Council and Mayor
W.A.N.G. NEIGHBORHOOD ANNUAL MEETING
Sunday, Oct. 21st, 11am-1pm
Lions Municipal Golf Course Clubhouse, Enfield Road, Austin, TX, USA
Join Us! Sunday - Oct 21st 11am to 1pm
AT THE MUNI CLUBHOUSE
join w.a.n.g. or renew and lunch is on us!
while they last! so come early !
The fight to Save Muny is not over.
Fellow Citizens of Austin,
Please watch and share this important video below...
The fight to Save Muny is not over. As the expiration of the lease for Lions Municipal Golf Course approaches, we urgently ask everyone to remember that moment in Civil Rights History that occurred at Lions in 1950.
Volma Overton, Jr. grew up in the Jim Crow South, and remembers vividly how difficult it was during that time. Lions is an asset not only to our entire community but also to the State of Texas and the United States of America. It should remain intact as an 18 hole golf course for everyone to play. Please fight to preserve Lions Municipal Golf Course by emailing the Mayor and Austin City Council immediately!
Brackenridge TRACT: WHAT WILL HAPPEN ON MAY 25TH 2019
Brackenridge Tract Background
- 1924: The Lions Club got a 25 year deal in 1924 and built the first public golf course in Austin.
- 1936: The City of Austin took over the Lion’s lease in 1936, and got a 50 year deal - til 1987.
- 1973: In 1972-73, UT Regents tried to cancel the lease, and got the city to make another deal, just to keep the lease until 1987. (Deal = City pay to move and repave Red River near UT)
- 1987: The deal in 1987 was not worked out until 1989, and another 30 years was secured, with lease payments totaling $9,929,920, plus development approvals on the rest of the Brackenridge Tract, except the Field Lab.
- 2009: In 2009 a Texas Historical Marker was approved for Lions Muny for its early Desegregation (1951), and in 2016 Lions was listed in the National Register of Historic Places, important for that early, quiet desegregation.
- 2011: In Feb. 2011, the UT Board of Regents voted to let the golf course lease expire at the end of its 30 yr. term, which is May 25, 2019.
Here we are in 2018 — Will we finally get the green, historic golf course FOREVER this time????
Owned by the City of Austin , or a Conservancy, and NOT by UT??
WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO DO THAT DEAL?
1) Approval by Austin City Council as well as UT Board of Regents
2) Providing something that UT wants
3) Passage of Austin Park Bonds in November could help as Council voted some of those bonds could help pay UT for the Lions Municipal Golf Course tract.
4) UT will still want some non-UT development approved for the rest of the Brackenridge Tract - particularly fronting Lady Bird Lake. - How much?
5) AND ????
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
1) Support the Parks Bonds, Proposition C
2) Contact the Austin City Council in support of preserving the historic green space called “MUNY” (This is Important!)
3) Urge a “DEAL” - at least a partial one, by November 25 -
6 months before May 25, when the current lease could end.
WANG Board of Directors & Committee Members
Organized 1973......"To preserve our neighborhood and protect it from deterioration"
Board of Directors
- President: Cathy Kyle President@westaustinng.com
- Secretary: Holly Reed Secretary@westaustinng.com
- Assistant Secretary: Blake Tollett AsstSecretary@westaustinng.com
- Treasurer: George Edwards Treasurer@westaustinng.com
- Past President: August "Happy" Harris III PastPresident@westaustinng.com
Committee Members (click on name to send email)
- Elizabeth Adams
- Mary Arnold
- Joyce Basciano
- Joseph M Bennett
- Michael Cannatti
- George Edwards
- Haidar Khazen
- Craig Lill
- Holly Reed
Honorary Committee Members