SOLANA HIGHLANDS FRIDAY FOCUS
December 14, 2012 Volume 1
Each Friday, I am going to attempt to send out a Friday Focus. It will be full of announcements/Reminders, High Tides, and an Education Article. Enjoy!
- Student Teachers - Carol McCall of CSUSM is looking to place Student Teachers. Many are in their second placements. Student Teachers will begin on 1/21/13. If interested, please let me know by next Wednesday - 12-19.
- Volunteer - Marvin Bauch, a retired educator, would love to volunteer working with students. He is available Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings from 8:30-11:00. Please let me know if you would like his help to work with students.
- 3 N 1 drill - Parent volunteers need to go out to the drill, Remember to wear your orange vests, Please remind students about not talking, Avoid walking under the lunch structure, and double check that your door is locked.
- Dreambox - Is great for all students. Be sure to get intervention students on at least 3 times per week. Dreambox actually recommends 60 minutes for K-2 and 90 minutes for grades 3-4. Classroom summary reports were put in your box yesterday.
- Cabinet Meeting - 12-19 @ 7:45
- Staff Holiday Party - En Fuego in Del Mar on 12/20. All staff are invited!
- School Site Council - 12-20 7:30
- Thank you Shauna for arranging the Holiday Baking Showdown
- Paul - for becoming a Grandpa!
- Instructional Aides - Amazing intervention work with students!
- Reading Together - Great job Hollis getting this great program off and running. One parent shared that her son cannot sleep at night he so excited to tutor!
- Professional Development - Thank you to Felicity, Lauren, Donna, Kimberly, Julie, Tarri, Debbie, Tracey, and Kimberly for attending 6 days of GLAD training. We now have 27 teachers and staff trained in this excellent methodology
- Common Core - You are already making the shift! Higher level thinking, multiple ways of solving problems, academic language, students explaining their thinking, etc. is being implemented in classrooms.
- Productive Group Work - Dr. Fisher strategies being utilized (3rd grade example attached)
- Student Compliment - "Solana Highlands teachers are great because they make sure that you understand the lesson that they are teaching, and if you don't, they'll go over it until you do!" - I love this!
EDUCATION CORNER - This section will be used to share an education article of interest each week
We are definitely on the right track when it comes to using mobile technology in ways that promote the 4 Cs: Critical Thinking, Creativity, Communication, and Collaboration.