September Parent Newsletter
- 2:Volleyball game 4:30, 5:30
- 3:7th grade immunization due today to the nurse for those who still need them current
- 3:Cross Country Invitational at Grand Oaks HS
- 4:Be a Belle Dance Clinic at MHS gym
- 6:Labor Day Holiday
- 7:New Teacher Websites are launched today
- 8:8th Football game home 4:30, 5:30/Sign Language Club begins at 6:45 or 2:45.
- 9:PTO Meeting 8:45 in the cafeteria/Anime Club meeting 2:45 to 3:30 p.m.
- 11:Cross Country Run at Magnolia HS
- 13:7th Football home 4:30, 5:30
- 15: Fall picture day - rotating through ELA classes all day to the small gym
- 17: Cross Country Run at Willis HS
- 17:Book Club during all lunches in the library
- 20:2nd 6 weeks starts
- 21:7th Football game home 4:30, 5:30, 6:30
- 23:Volleyball home game 4:30
- 27:The library book fair will be Sept. 27-Oct. 1.
- 28:8th Football home 4:30
A Note from the MJH Administration
Happy September to all! We sincerely hope that you and your child are quickly settling into the routine of the new school year. We are nearly three weeks into school at this point, and our calendar is filling up with events and happenings. Below are a few reminders and import links as well as notices for the month. Through out the school year, remember to be sure to visit our campus website regularly for updated information at http://schools.misd.org/page/mjhs.homepage.
To view updated MISD Health Protocol, the MISD Covid Tracker, Rapid Test Appointments, or Vaccination opportunities, you will find this information at http://www.misd.org/page/dis.return.to.school.plan.
As always, we thank you for entrusting your children to us, and we look forward to a productive and exciting September.
A Note from our Counselors
The Counselor's CornerOur Counseling Team is committed to helping our families as we return for the 2021-2022 school year. We will be posting assistance resources and counseling information on our Counselor's Corner webpage throughout the school year. We are also here to provide all our students counseling services as needed. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us using our contact information below:
Barbara Gagliano: 6th Grade Counselor
Lesa Dunbar: 7th Grade Counselor
Tressie Stewart-8th Grade Counselor
A few things:
- We will be administering the state Beginning Of Year placement tests to all students who missed the STAAR assessments in Spring 2021. The BOY assessments will take place between September 14-17th. and will be taken online at school in one of our computer labs. For questions, please contact Tressie Stewart at Tressie. Stewart@misd.org.
- Most schedules should be finalized by now. If you need to have your child moved from an advanced to level class, or from band, choir, or athletics to an alternate PE course or elective, please have your student complete and return a schedule change request form. We will do our best to accommodate the change.
- The counseling office is open before school, during all lunches, and after school. You may also come to the counseling office as needed with a pass from your teacher.
Counselors September Care Tip:
5 Tips to Help Cope with STRESS
- Get some ZZZs- Getting enough sleep helps you grow & develop, pay attention, and maintain overall health.
- Focus on Your Strengths- Take time to think and write about things you are good at that are also good for you. Find ways to spend more time engaging in these activities to help keep your stressors in perspective.
- Do Things that Make You Happy- Incorporate things that make you happy in your daily life to keep a positive outlook.
- Engage in Physical Activity -Exercise takes our mind off stressful things and releases chemicals in our brain that naturally make us feel better.
- Talk to Someone- It can be hard to manage stress alone. Talk to a parent, teacher, counselor, or other adult you trust about your problems to find best solutions and other ways to manage your stress.
A Note from our Nurse:
ALL Parents, you will need to make an appointment to bring any medication for your child to the clinic. This will be done curbside or front office as parents are being limited into the clinics. If you need a medication form, Mrs. Buckner will email it to your prior to bringing the medication in. A Dr. note is NOT required for cramping/menstrual medication such as Midol and Pamperin as this is not a COVID symptom. As for inhalers, the CDC is highly recommending a spacer be used when administering the medication as this significantly decreases the particles expelled. The students will also be asked to step outside their classroom to self administer their inhaler. No cold/allergy medicine will be accepted such as Zyrtec, Claritan, or Benadryl, with the exception of Benadryl with Epi pens. Tylenol and Motrin in small bottle will be accepted. Thank you for helping us keep our students and staff safe.
7th grade parents: A reminder that if we have not received a valid copy of your child’s required immunizations listed below by Sept. 3, your student will not be able to stay on campus.
1. Tdap (within 5 years of 7th grade enrollment date) (Dtap, dtp, tdap or DT, Td is acceptable if a medical contraindication to pertussis exists)
2. Meningococcal (on or after the student’s 11th birthday) (MCV4)
Please feel free to contact Mrs. Buckner if you have any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org or 936-276-3309.
Book club's first meeting is Friday, Sept. 17 during all three lunches.
Harry Potter club members should fill out the Google form on the library website to be sorted into their houses.
RETURNING LIBRARY BOOKS:
· Librarian: Shelley Smith
· Office #: 936-276-3367
Covid Safety Steps
At Arrival: 6th grade reports to the cafeteria; 7th & 8th grade report to the large gym
Masks: are optional
Class transitions: we will begin staggering dismissal belles in between periods to help with congestion in the hallway
Water fountains: only water bottle fillers are available at this time
Parent conferences: we recommend zoom or phone conferences at this time
One Way Hallways: one way hallways will be implemented clockwise to improve traffic flow
Drop off Items: we have a table in the foyer for parents to drop off items for students
Jr. Belles Dance Team and Clinic
Fall Sports Information
JR HIGH ATHLETICS:
- Cross Country: For questions, please contact email@example.com
- Volleyball: For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Girls Athletics website: http://schools.misd.org/page/laurenhightower-mjhgirlsathletics
Boys Athletics website: http://schools.misd.org/page/GregFaigle-MJH%20Boys%20Athletics
MJH National Junior Honor Society
We are having our first meeting August 31 @ 7:00 to elect this year’s officers.
We will meet once a month (more if needed) starting August 31.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Vanessa Larrison at email@example.com
Washington D.C./Williamsburg Trip for 8th graders!
Parents of 8th Graders! Enrollment is open for the June 2022 Washington DC/Williamsburg Trip!
The 8th Grade History Nerd Birds invite you and your student to join us in June 2022 as we travel to Washington DC/Williamsburg!
Plan on attending an information meeting on September 15, 5:30 pm, MJH Band Hall.For specific questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
STUDENT WATER BOTTLES
MJH 2022 Yearbooks are for sale at balfour.com. We sold out last year, so make sure your order yours today.
MISD has an easy online way for you to keep your child’s account. Go to the MISD webpage and click on the left tab “Child Nutrition Info”. Then click “MySchoolBucks.com.”
Parents will be encouraged to make prepayments on students’ accounts using my school bucks, cash or checks to avoid cash transactions during meal service.
We have a parent lunch table now for parents to eat lunch with their student.
If students forget their lunch, we have a parent drop off table in the front foyer for you to drop off lunches. Please let your child know you have brought their lunch to school.
As a reminder, all breakfast and lunch this year is free of charge. Any extras, such as water, chips, treats, etc. will need to be purchased.
MJH Parent/Student Handbook
The Parent-Student Handbook will be available on the MJH website. We encourage you to become familiar with the information contained in the handbook. Forms such as Release of Picture/Directory Information, Medication for the Nurse, Change of Address/Phone Number, and Technology Agreement are found at the back of the Handbook.
Most textbooks will either be available online or issued for at-home use. Books that are issued for at-home use will not have to be carried to and from school. Students can check out a textbook for home through the AP office. Backpacks are optional. No rolling backpacks unless under doctor orders.
We ask that you make every effort to request transportation changes prior to 1:30 p.m. in order for us to be certain that your student leaves in the correct manner. You may make changes by:
1. Sending a note with your child;
2. Faxing with a photo of your I.D. to 936-276-3301. Please include your student’s first & last name on any change. Emails or texts to teachers, phone calls to the front desk, and student-relayed messages are not requests that we honor for safety reasons.
· MJH CAR RIDER LINE/BUS POLICY
Due to the continued growth of MISD, we will no longer allow extra riders to ride the bus routes. Only registered riders will be allowed on the bus routes. We highly encourage students to car-pool to school due to the high volume of traffic and limited parking during the morning hours.
Join Our MJH PTO
Please join our PTO. The membership form is online on the MJH PTO website at the link below.
- Family membership is $10.00. Our PTO eNews will keep you informed with the most current information that MJH has to offer regarding upcoming events, student opportunities, club news, deadlines, volunteer opportunities, and accomplishments at Montgomery Junior High School. Be sure to check out our PTO Facebook page as well.
1st PTO meeting is Thursday 9/9 @ 8:45 am in the cafeteria. We will also begin selling spirit wear on campus every Friday beginning 9/3 and will also sell at home football games.
Attached are links to the sign ups for volunteers for to assist with spirit wear sales at the football games and on campus.
We will also have a spirit night on September 14th at Whataburger from 4-7pm.
2021-2022 PTO Fundraiser & Sponsorship
Montgomery Junior High School
Home of the Bears: #TogetherWeWill
To see all the great things happening at MJH
Follow us on Twitter @mjhsbears and Instagram (mjhsbears)
Follow our PTO on Facebook @ PTO Montgomery Junior High