News and Information for CMS Families
November 20, 2021
Principal Vissering's Message
Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving!
We will see you back at school on Monday, November 29.
Chippewa has participated the Futures Unlimited program through Oakton Community College for many years now. This year, despite Covid, 8th grade math teacher Lindsay Cichowicz was able to bring the program to our building for an in school field trip.
Futures Unlimited is an educational program that provides eighth-grade girls with exciting opportunities to explore diverse careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).
Here are some of the activities they got to experience:
- Sessions with Maine West and East promoting courses and clubs related to STEM
- Predicting the Future with Math: analyzing and predicting using graph simulations of pandemics
- Postural Influence of Gaming, Texting, and Extended Computer Use: impacts of slouching and exercises to counteract it
- Keynote Speaker: Eugenia Cheng spoke about her accomplishments and connected math to baking and spoke about how math has given her many opportunities in life
- Electronics: Hands on activity where students connected wires to a circuit board in order to get a light to light up and a speaker to sound.
Is your kid obsessed with their phone?
There will be a viewing of the movie LIKE on Wednesday, December 1, at 6:30pm in the Chippewa Cafeteria on the two big screens.
The film LIKE explores the impact of social media on our lives and the effects of technology on the brain.
It will also provide suggestions on how to create a healthy relationship with technology.
There will be a facilitated discussion after the film to help families start conversations with their child about their relationship with technology.
Refreshments will be served and babysitting is available.
8th Grade Baby Pictures
8th Grade Parents-
The Yearbook Club is requesting baby or toddler pictures of 8th grade students for the yearbook. The pictures will be featured in a Guess Who’s Who? section reserved for our 8th graders.
Please turn it in to Mrs. Conti in the LMC or Ms. Salgado in room 178 or please scan or bring an actual photo. You may also email a high resolution (300 dpi - jpeg) photo to Mrs. Conti (email@example.com) or Ms. Salgado (firstname.lastname@example.org).
DUE: Friday, December 17, 2021
Tips: Photos of pictures do not come out clear. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Thank you for your participation
Des Plaines Community Events
D207 Maine High Schools Information
No special events
Boys Basketball @ Lincoln 3:30-5:30pm
Maine West Freshman Info Night 6:30-8:00pm @ MW
Boys Basketball vs. Iroquois 3:30-5:30pm
Chippewa Movie Night: LIKE 6:30pm
Boys Basketball @ Holmes 3:30-5:30pm
Maine East Freshman Info Night 6:30-8:00pm @ ME
No special events