From the Desk of Miss Foyle
Week of April 4-8, 2016
Important Announcements & Info
Happy Easter! Jesus is Risen - Alleluia!
1. Join our ICSJ parish and school families for the next Family Mass on Sunday, April 10, at 11 a.m. at St. Joseph's church.
2. There will be NO school Mass on Wednesday, April 13, due to Aspire testing. Please join us for our next Mass on Wednesday, April 20th. It will be hosted by 5B.
*Our weekly Mass is a central activity for our school community, as the Eucharist is the source and summit of our faith - all students should be on time on Wednesdays, well-rested and having eaten breakfast. Thank you.
3. It is imperative that students be on time to school every day, and next week is no exception. Aspire testing will begin during the first period of the day, with the Advisory time as an opportunity for students to relax, use the bathroom, sharpen pencils, etc. Aspire testing will be 1-1.5 hours each day, Monday through Thursday. There will be no homework given those days. Students are, as always, encouraged to try their best.
4. A BIG THANK YOU to all parents and guests who came out for Greek Fest on Tuesday. The students did an AMAZING job, and the presentations really highlighted all their hard work. To top it off, the food was delicious, and, as always, it was wonderful to see you. Some photos are included below. Others can be found on the school's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/icsnorthpark/posts/547542398759395
5. Here are the red folder assessments coming home from my classes:
6th LA = author study rubric, timed narrative writing prompt #3, and Greek god/goddess project rubric
6 Religion = none (vocations quiz will be sent home next week)
8 Religion = Acts of the Apostles quiz
From the classroom...
Our next (brief) unit in reading will focus on poetry - its components & figurative language as well as how to analyze it. On Friday we will kick off the unit with a look at a poem's title and how it comes into play in the reader's understanding.
Students collaborated with 2-3 peers to create Powerpoint presentations for reviewing previously learned grammar concepts. They used their GUM book and online resources to compile definitions, examples, and practice opportunities for the rest of the class. Students will present these projects over the course of next week.
We also finished our Unit 4 root words this week by studying "DOM." Our quiz will be on hold until the week after Aspire - it is set for Tuesday, April 19. Next week we will review in class with various games and activities.
The focus shifted to the Gospel of Matthew on Friday, when students watched two short videos that provided an overview of the Biblical book's content. Before the end of the year, students will explore some of the key stories and parts of Matthew's Gospel, as aligned with the Archdiocesan standards for 6th grade.
NEXT WEEK we will be viewing the film "The Song of Bernadette" - this is a film that tells the true story of St. Bernadette Soubirous and her vision of the Immaculate Conception at Lourdes. A project will accompany this video.