Upcoming Task and Dates to Remember for this Week.
LMS Weekly Reminder
Happy New Year- Welcome Back!!
THIS WEEK- January 6-10
- January 7th -Instructional Technology and Innovation iPad for beginning user training.
Click here to register
- January 9th - Instructional Technology and Innovation LiveBinders & Thinglink training.
Click here to register
- January 10th- High School BOB Questions Due to Jean
- January 10th- Complete eBook Questionnaire. Click Here to access.
Don't forget to Collect the Holiday Reading Challenge Logs
Please follow the timeline below:
- January 10.- Ask students to return all reading logs to you by January 10th.
- January 15- Media Specialists should email the names of the students that have submitted their Holiday Reading Challenge logs to Lisa Gardner DeBerry or Tammy Gruer. This year we are asking you to email a list. It can be in Word, Excel. Lisa will send you an excell template later today for your convienence.
- January 17th- School minutes for January must be submitted on the R2R SharePoint site to be included into the drawing for $1000.00 in library books.
- January 21st - Winners will be announced.
We are almost there!!! Great job!!!
Holiday reading minutes need to be included in your December totals. If you have already entered your December minutes please modify your totals to reflect the holiday minutes read.
The last opportunity to submit any totals for Reading minutes and be included in the drawing for the $1,000.00 of free books for your library is January 17th. Please enter any minutes read from January 1-17th on sharepoint on this date.
Dates to Remember
- January 13th- YA Lit
- January 20th- Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
- January 23rd- State of our Schools at High Point Theatre
- January 29th -Middle and High PLC - TOPIC: How to us African American Male Books in your schools.
- January 30th- Elementary PLC's- TOPIC: How to us African American Male Books in your schools.
- January 31st- School Discovery Ed Clean up DUE
Discovery Education Attention Required by January 31, 2014.
After many years with Discovery Education we are in need of some “house-cleaning”. GCS has many duplicate accounts, inaccurate email addresses, people no longer with GCS listed, etc. Pam needs your help in clearing out and updating this information. Below you will find a checklist of the items in Discovery Education that need to be updated. You may ask your staff to help with this, but there are some things that you as the site administrator will need to do yourself. Please have the updates completed by January 31, 2014.
- Make sure usernames are the first part of the GCS email address (ex. jamesp3 @gcsnc.com would be jamesp3) If that username is already in use, please add an underscore at the end (jamesp3_).
- All email addresses should be the GCS email address.
- Archive duplicate accounts. Please see which account is the current one and archive the unused account.
- Staff that have transferred or are no longer with GCS should be archived.
- If you have staff that have accounts at other schools and need to be transferred to your current school, please let me know and I will move them. Pam will need the name of the staff member, their email address, and the school name they need to be transferred to.
If you have further questions, please contact Pam James email@example.com
To get user information, please do the following:
· Login to Discovery Education.
· Click My Admin in upper right corner.
· Click User Roster in Navigation bar.
· Click NC_Guilford.
· Click CVS.
· Click Run Report.
Standard 1 & 5 PD Opportunity
Leading From The Library!
- “School library media coordinators demonstrate leadership” (Standard 1)
- “School library media coordinators actively seek ongoing professional development to improve their practice and the effectiveness of the library media program" (Standard 5, Element B)
- Tips and tricks for stepping out of the stacks and into the limelight as instructional, pedagogical and technological library leaders! with Library Girl, Jennifer LaGarde and Jennifer Northrup, The Candid Librarian.
- Date: Monday, January 6th
- Time: 8pm EST
- Click Here to find out more about this PD opportunity.
This free session from TL Virtual Café will be a live webinar on 1/6 (from 6-8 PM), and then it will be archived for those who could not participate at that time. Participants do not have to register for the webinar. So at the time of the webinar, the participant link should be active.
This webinar uses Blackboard’s Collaborate, so participants will want to make sure that their computers meet the system requirements. Click HERE to check:
TL Virtual Café has other free, archived webinars that your SLMCs may be interested in. They can be accessed at this link: https://tlvirtualcafe.wikispaces.com
High School BOB Update
- High schools voted to have morning divisions and afternoon finals.
- The top 3 teams from each room will advance to the afternoon finals.
- Both morning division and afternoon finals will include double rounds with 8 questions per round (4 questions per team)
Middle School BOB Update
- Middle schools voted to have morning divisions and afternoon finals.
- We will have competition in 3 rooms. (7 teams in each)
- The Top 3 teams in each room will advance to the finals.
- Morning competition will include double rounds with 8 questions in each round. (42 rounds total)
- Finals will include 9 teams, with 6 question single rounds. (36 rounds total)
We are still in need of volunteers for BOB each day.
We are really low on volunteers for March 12th. If you know anyone that is willing to volunteer, please have them complete the link below or contact Jean Howard.
- Over 100 volunteers will be needed for this years battles.If you or someone you know, are interested in volunteering, PLEASE send the following link to them or have them contact our office.
- CLICK HERE to Volunteer
- DONT FORGET
Discovery Ed- US History Tech Books are FREE. Email Pam James for Details.
- David Novak Visit
David Novak is visiting Summerfield Elementary on January 15. If you are interested in him visiting your school, please click below to find out more. I am sure the fees will be cheaper if more schools have him visit while he is here.
- Click here to access David Novak's Profile
- Click here to access his Teacher's Guide
For a reference please contact the media specialist at:
- Southwest Elementary
- Jamestown Elementary
- Millis Rd Elementary
- Sedalia Elementary
- January 16- Award-winning Author Kelly Starling Lyons will visit Hampton Elementary! Contact Binta Hill to purchase AUTOGRAPHED copies of her books. If you would like for her to schedule a visit to your school, feel free to contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- February 8th- Librarian to Librarian Networking Summit ECU
CLICK HERE to register.
CLICK HERE for more information
Instructional Tech. Courses
GREAT NEWS! If you attend at least 3 instructional courses throughout the year you will now receive credit. (Please share with staff.)
Instructional Technology Training Sessions Offered
Tune into the buzz about professional development opportunities offered by the Instructional Technology team. Their "Winter AV Month" series of classes begins in December. Click here for a full list of classes and more details.
REMEMBER: Please share this information with your staff.
Library Media Services
Have a wonderful week!
Remember: If you would like text reminders about media services events text @mediaspe to (469)275-4562
Employee of the Month
CLICK HERE to nominate someone for Employee of the Month.