10 Ways To Save a Car From Thieves
Everyone’s fear is having their car stolen from right under their eyes. A car is a major investment for Americans, and if your car is stolen, well, that’s not good. Fortunately, there are several preventative measures you can take to stop it. Here are 10 ways GEICO recommends you can prevent your car from being stolen:
1. When parked, never leave your keys in the car. Close all of the windows and the sunroof. Then, lock your car. If your locks don’t work, the can easily be fixed.
2. Never leave your car running, even if your running inside for just a minute.
3. Do not leave your vehicle title in the car. Too often a car thief is pulled over and gets away from the police because he or she can produce the automobile registration. (If multiple drivers use the automobile, the best suggestion would be to conceal the registration in a secret place in the automobile that only the owners know)
4. Know where you're going. Avoid known high crime areas even if the alternative route takes longer.
5. Install an anti-theft system in your car or truck if it does not have one. Thieves are reluctant to steal vehicles if they know the cars can be retrieved quickly. Many insurers offer discounts to the kinds of systems listed below.
6. Thieves prefer to work in the dark. Be especially cautious at night about where you park your vehicle. Park it in a well-lit place when possible. Be conscious of your surroundings, particularly in garages, parking lots and gas stations.
7. Close your garage door while home. A thief could simply walk in and drive away. Consider installing DIY home security systems to keep an eye on your car.
8. Have your car's vehicle identification number (VIN) etched on each of the windows. Car thieves want to get off cheap. They don't need to go to the cost of replacing all the glass.
9. On an incline, leave your vehicle in park or in gear with the wheels turned toward the curb or another obstruction. This makes it harder for thieves to tow your vehicle.
10. If confronted by a carjacker, do not resist. Cars can be replaced; you can't.