Karen's Kindergarten News
December 5, 2014
Special activities coming up...
Monday, Dec. 8 is Grinch Day! We'd love to see your child wearing green! Hairstyles like Cindy Lou Who are also welcome!
Tues. 12/9, Wed. 12/10, & Thurs. 12/11 are Kindergarten Factory Days! Parent volunteers are welcome to come in and help on these days from 12:30 - 1:30.
Wed. 12/17 is our Kindergarten Pajama Day! Your child may wear pajamas, a robe, and slippers to school. Please make sure that they have another pair of shoes to wear for recess.
Report Card Assessments
Over the next two weeks, kindergarten teachers will be assessing students on the standards taught in the 2nd nine weeks for GKIDS and our report cards.
Please practice the following skills with your child if he/she does not have mastery of these:
- Reading all sight words taught this year
- Writing at least 1 - 2 sentences about a topic, with capital letters at the beginning of a sentence
- When writing the word "I," capitalizing it. (i.e. My mom and I walked home).
- Coins and their values (penny, nickel, dime, & quarter)
- Counting from 1 - 100
- Counting from 1 - 100 by 10's (10, 20, 30, 40, and so on)
- Numbers 0 - 20 written correctly & legibly
- Counting on from a given number (i.e. Start at 12 and count up: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16...)
Due to report card and reading level assessments, your child will not be meeting in reading groups every day. If your child does not come home with a book, please read a book from home and practice sight words.
For the next two weeks, we will be reviewing literacy skills taught in these 9 weeks. Our focus will be on main idea and details, character, and determining unknown words in a text.
Next week we will be reviewing math concepts taught in the 1st and 2nd nine weeks. Our focus will be on patterns, ten frames, counting, and money.