Stroke is the third leading cause of death in the United States, it kills 130,000 Americans every year.
- Stroke accounts for one in every eighteen deaths
- 3 quarters of all strokes occur in people over the age of 65
- Someone in America has a stroke every 40 seconds
- The risk of stroke in smokers in almost double that of a normal person
- Stroke is the leading cause of long term disability in the U.S.
- sudden weakness or numbness in face, arm, or leg on one side of the body
- sudden loss of vision, strength, coordination, sensation, or speech
- abrupt loss of balance
- vomiting, nausea, fever, hiccups, trouble swallowing
- unexplained fainting or dizziness
- brief loss of consciousness
- knowing your blood pressure
- identifying atrial fibrillation
- don't smoke
- avoid alcohol
- eat healthy and exercise
- treat circulation problems
tPA is a enzyme found in your blood that can be converted into another enzyme that can dissolve a blood clot.
Penumbra System helps restore blood flow to the brain by using a suction to grab blood clots in the brain. However this is a very revolutionary operation and is used only for ischemic strokes.
Cerebral Hemorrhage - When a weakened artery in the cerebrum bursts and floods the area with blood.
Aneurysm - An aneurysm is a blood filled weak spot that balloons out from the artery wall.