LEAD | Dallas ISD
Leader Excellence, Advancement & Development
Two weeks ago, we joined together as school leaders to launch the 2019-2020 school year with impactful training, meaningful collaboration, and a few laughs along the way. Thanks to our partners in Teaching&Learning and Teaching Trust, we spent three days diving into the core of our work: distributed leadership, values aligned systems & structures and instructional excellence. With these new (and refined) tools, we walk into this school year more prepared than ever to ensure equity and excellence for ALL STUDENTS in Dallas ISD.
One of those students, Jasira King, took our breath away and captured our hearts with her words about extraordinary leadership in Dallas ISD. With our 4 eyes and our 4 I's, she reminded us to remain reflective, see endless potential, and, most importantly, to never stop moving forward. We had an incredible week together and now our leaders are more ready than ever to keep moving their schools and their communities forward.
We are excited that our journey for 2019 is all about coherence. We will focus on building a strong and unified district with all parts aligned and working together around our Dallas ISD Leadership Vision. We will study and ensure Distributed Leadership, Values-Aligned Systems and Structures and Instructional Excellence.
More than ever, Dallas ISD leaders Inspire, Create & LEAD the way! It is certainly an exciting time and one in which we should all be #ProudToLEADinDallasISD!
Executive Director | LEAD
In This Edition
1. What is LEAD?
2. Recap of School Leadership Summer Intensive (including resources)
3. Next Steps: Implementation Expectations from Summer Intensive
4. Upcoming Teaching Trust Session 1 for Principals and Assistant Principals
5. Frequently Asked Questions - Distributed Leadership & Dallas ISD's 4 Power Meeetings
What is LEAD?
LEAD is a department within School Leadership that is spearheading the development of a robust principal pipeline for our district. LEAD's work is based upon national research and strong district programs across the nation and will focus on four key levers:
- attract greater numbers of talented, diverse individuals to join the ranks of campus leadership by partnering with universities to develop district-focused master's programs
- prepare leaders at all levels by ensuring distributed leadership with on-going, quality preparation, including hands-on experience and a rigorous process for the selection of principals
- develop principal capacity by supporting leaders with opportunities for on-going learning in best practices for increased effectiveness and district coherence
- retain our most promising and effective leaders by facilitating additional opportunities and experiences with other leaders in the metroplex, state and nation
Last year, LEAD focused on the first two levers. Attracting folks - with your input - to three university principal-prep programs. We also facilitated a revised, more rigorous year-long hiring process of new principals. This year, we are eager to expand into the "develop" tab ensuring we have coherent, aligned development of our leaders. As such, LEAD is facilitating our district's enhanced partnership with Teaching Trust, including the series of professional development sessions for our principals and all assistant principals.
"Whatever you do, never stop moving forward" -- Jasira King
Check out Jasira King's Speech to Dallas ISD Leaders
Next Steps from Summer Intensive
All resources - handouts, PowerPoints, videos, graphics, implementation checklists - from Summer Intensive have been uploaded onto School Leadership's website. Click the link below to access all the resources from School Leadership.
Additionally, attached is School Leadership's Campus Visit Look Fors/Implementation Checklist, which includes next steps for distributed leadership and culture.
As we welcome our staffs back and kick off the new school year, please continue to use the #ProudtoLEADinDallasISD hashtag. We want to see your BOY PD and practice sessions for culture and/or power meeting roll-outs and celebrate the awesome start to the 2019-2020 school year. Let's continue to highlight the great things happening in Dallas ISD!
We can't wait to see Dallas ISD Leaders in action as they Inspire. Create. LEAD!
*Remember to tag @LEAD_DallasISD, @dallasschools and @TeachingTrust.
Session 1 with Teaching Trust is Coming Up
Location: Thomas Edison MS
There will be a four-hour dedicated time period during the scheduled District-wide Principals' Meetings.
- September 17th: Elementary Principals
- September 18th: Secondary Principals
There will be four options for assistant principals to attend the training. Please click the link below to RSVP to your session of choice.
- September 24th Morning Session (8:00am-12:00pm)
- September 24th Afternoon Session (1:00pm-5:00pm)
- September 25th Morning Session (8:00am-12:00pm)
- September 25th Afternoon Session (1:00pm-5:00pm)