5th Grade News Bennett Elementary
Week of January 4th, 2016
What's Happening in ELAR/ Social Studies
In Reading, we will begin working on reading and analyzing dramas. We will begin our new book club books, as well!
In Social Studies, students will work in groups to learn about the Articles of Confederation, the creation of the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the Branches of Government.
Homework this week will be to complete week one reading and comprehension questions for their new book club books. Time will be given in class, but students will need to be reading at home, as well!
Attached below is a Six Flags Reading Log (students have received this already). All students should be spending time reading 6 hours and recording it on the Six Flags Reading Log. This log is due February 29th. ALL students need to strive to complete this!
What's Happening in Math/ Science
In Math, students will review adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing with fractions, simplify numerical expressions, and use input/output tables to plot points on a grid. The students will take their 2nd math District Assessment on Friday.
In Science, students will utilize their menu to research various concepts from our new unit on space including moon phases, seasons, characteristics of the moon, Earth, and Sun, and will research the differences between rotation and revolution of planets and moons.
- Tuesday, January 5th- Students return from Winter Break; Creed Lunch @12:00; 3rd 9 Weeks Begins
- Wednesday, January 6th- Reports cards available on HAC and go home; Alpha resumes
- Thursday, January 7th- Bear Cubs in training Storytime; 2:15p in Learning Commons
- Monday, January 11th- STUCO meeting @ 7:15a; 2nd & 3rd Grade Jr. Spelling Bee @ 2:00p; Jump Rope for Heart begins in PE
- Tuesday, January 12th- Class Pictures; 4th & 5th Grade Spelling Bee @ 2:00p
- Friday, January 15th- Principal's Coffee @ 8:15a in the Bennett Learning Commons; 5th Dowell Music Tour at Bennett - 10:00-11:30
- Monday, January 18th - No School
- January 19th-January 29th- Watch Dog Sign-ups (link below)
- Tuesday, January 19th - Taste it Tuesday
- Wednesday, January 20th - Variety Show Screening; 3:15 in the cafe
- Thursday, January 21st - Variety Show Emcee & Stage Hands Auditions @ 3:15 in Ms. Mac's room
- Friday, January 22nd- Bennett Bingo Night from 6:30-8:00pm; Jump Rope for Heart ends
- Monday, January 25th - Bluebonnet book reviews due
- Friday, January 29th - Friday Live @ 2:15p
- Monday, February 8th - Bennett Variety Show (Save the date... Details below)
- Saturday, February 20th- 8:00-10:00a - Breakfast with Benny at Applebees (tickets must be purchased prior to event)
- Friday, March 4th - First Annual Bennett Color Run
Watch Dog Sign-Ups for the 2nd Semester
They will be January 19th- January 29th.
Please use the following link to sign-up:
Bennett Variety Show
Emcee/ Stage Hand Screening: Thursday, January 21st @ 3:15 in Mrs. Mac's room (5th ONLY)
1st Mandatory Practice: Either Tuesday Feb. 2nd OR Wednesday Feb. 3rd at 3:15 in the cafeteria (all acts will be assigned ONE of these dates)
2nd Mandatory Practice: Thursday, February 4th @ 3:15 in the cafeteria (ALL acts required to attend)
Full Dress Rehearsal: Friday. February 5th @ 3:15 in the cafeteria (all acts, emcees, and stage hands required to attend)
Monday, February 8th
K-2 to view at 8:30a
3-5 to view at 9:30a
Family Show at 6:30p
Bennett 5th Grade
Shannon Dusek - firstname.lastname@example.org
Beth Higgins - email@example.com
Natalie White - firstname.lastname@example.org