FAC Weekly Update
September 16, 2022
Good Morning, FAC Family
We hope that you had a wonderful week! Here’s the latest from the halls of the FAC…
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
Over the next few weeks, we will highlight The Four Agreements, a New York Times Bestseller for over a decade.
The First Agreement: Be Impeccable With Your Word
- Speak with integrity.
- Say only what you mean.
- Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others.
- Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
-Don Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements
Fine Arts Center College Day
FAC Wish List
As a pre-professional training ground for aspiring artists, we will at times need to augment what we are given through the school budget in order to meet professional industry standards. If you are interested in purchasing an item of need instead of donating money to the FAC, please click on the following link to access the FAC Wish List.
FAC Custom Umbrellas
Recently, Greenville County Schools provided each site with new picnic tables. We have 4 new beautiful tables located at the Main Entrance of the school, and our students are enjoying eating lunch outside and socializing before and after class. In order to make the area more comfortable for our students, we would like to purchase a commercial-grade umbrella for each table. The product we have chosen is described in the picture to the right; we feel that this particular model will be a durable and aesthetically-pleasing addition to the front of our school.
The total cost for 4 umbrellas, heavy-duty bases, and umbrella covers will be approximately $4,000. The FAC Parent Guild has generously agreed to purchase one umbrella, base, and cover, and we are asking for contributions toward the purchase of the remaining 3 umbrella sets. With over 400 students at the FAC, we can get this done for under $8 per student.
- If you would like to donate towards the total purchase, please click on the following link: https://tinyurl.com/2p8jnuv2. Any amount, no matter how small, is appreciated.
- If you are interested in purchasing one of the three remaining sets, please email me so that I can give you instructions on how to make the donation. We will ensure that anyone who purchases a full set will receive appropriate recognition.
- If donations exceed the total cost of the umbrellas, the excess funds will go towards campus beautification projects.
As always, please reach out with any questions. Thank you so much for your continuous support of our students and our school!
SEL Program at the FAC
Our lessons will be centered on the FAC Core Values:
- Creativity - developed through curiosity, expression, critical thinking, self-reflection, practice and mastery of skills
- Respect - cultivated through a healthy artistic environment that is safe, open-minded, inclusive, and diverse
- Grit - formed by commitment, hard work, integrity, resilience, and perseverance, which are essential to personal and professional achievement
- Identity - matured as students become practicing artists, lifelong learners, and innovators
- Connection - built as our work strengthens our school, the community, and the broader society
We look forward to strengthening the school climate and culture at the Fine Arts Center; continually making it a place that students run to - not from.
World-Class Evening of Song at the FAC!
Faculty Spotlight - David Schwingle
The synopsis of Electric Love is as follows:
Daniel has met the love of his life, Julia. But will he keep her love--or follow the rocky path of his ancestors and throw it all away? Part family tree reveal, part fated love story, this '90s high school romance lays it all out on the line. But will Daniel’s efforts be enough to win Julia’s love?
The production will last approximately 1:45 including a 15-minute intermission. The show is appropriate for ages 10 and up.
HONK! - Milltown Players
Carolina Ballet Theatre - Ghosts - 10/28 and 10/29
The Greenville-centric story opens on Halloween night. While most families make their rounds through the well-known neighborhoods, a handful of kids break off from the group. Hoping to reveal an unspoken Greenville secret, they head to an abandoned mansion along the Reedy River. They knock on the door, and after no answer, a brave little girl says “Let’s go!” and pushes it open. Lightning flashes to reveal a silhouette of a couple who dance a pas de deux to a string quartet medley of several Michael Jackson-inspired tunes.
Music By Michael Jackson and Choreography by Hernan Justo.
Tickets are available at https://www.peacecenter.org/events/detail/cbt-ghosts-22.
Is your child performing in the Greenville community?
FAC Merch Available for Sale - Next Wednesday, 9/21
- 1/4 Zip Pullover - $30
- FAC Socks - $16
- FAC Mugs - $10
- FAC Magnets - $5
- FAC Stickers - $1-2, depending on size
FAC Visual Arts Faculty Exhibition Reception - Friday, 9/30 at 6:00 p.m.
- Friday, September 16 - Thursday, September 22 - Dance Artist-in-Residence: Carlos DeBarros
- Friday, September 23 - FAC College Day
- Friday, September 30 - Visual Arts Faculty Show Reception; 6:00 p.m., FAC Sheffield Wood Gallery
- Monday, October 3 - Friday, November 11 - Theatre Artist-in-Residence: West Hyler
- Thursday, October 6 - Parrish Trio Masterclass; 7:00 p.m.. FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
- Saturday, October 8 - District Dance Festival
- Saturday, October 8 - Parrish Trio Performance; 7:00 p.m., FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
- Monday, October 10 - Friday, October 14 - Dance Artist-in-Residence: Christopher Huggins
- Monday, October 10 - Friday, October 14 - Voice Artists-in-Residence: Danielle Talamantes and Kerry Wilkerson
- Tuesday, October 11 - Jazz Guest Artist: Jason DeCristofaro
- Thursday, October 13 - Visual Arts Portfolio Day
- Thursday, October 13 - Danielle Talamantes & Kerry Wilkerson Performance; 7:00 p.m., FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
- Friday, October 21 - 2:25 p.m. Jazz Studio Concert; 7:00 p.m., FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
- Monday, October 24 - Friday, October 28 - Jazz Artist-in-Residence: Mike Stern
- Monday, October 24 - Wednesday, October 26 - Strings Artists-in-Residence: Paul and Rachel Aguilar
- Friday, October 28 - Mike Stern Concert; 7:00 p.m., FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.