Getting A Tax File Number

A basic guide for my first job

Do I need a tax file number(TFN)?

  • Before an employer can pay you, you must give them your tax file number and your bank account details.
  • You will be taxed on the top rate which is almost half of what you earn if you do not provide a tax file number to your employer and then you will have to claim the money back at the end of the financial year.
  • Once you provide your TFN to the employer you won't be taxed on the first $18,200 you earn in a financial year(1July-30 June) this is your tax fee threshold.
  • To get a tax file number you apply on line and then visit the local Post Office so they can verify your proof of identify documents. A few weeks later and a letter containing your tax file number will be sent to you through the mail. Please keep this number in a safe place.

Lost Your Tax File number?

If you think your tax file number is lost, then contact the ATO on 13 28 61 between 8:00am to 8:00pm Monday to Friday and 10:00am to 4:00pm Saturday and on a Sunday between 10:00am and 4:00pm from 1 July to 31 October.

How to keep your TFN safe

Only give your TFN to organisations such as:
  • ATO for tax record purposes
  • Some Australian government agencies
  • your employer after you start
  • your super fund
  • higher education providers such as TAFE or a university
  • tax agent or accountant
  • bank or financial institution


  • Do not carry it in your purse or wallet or in your mobile phone.
  • Do not provide it on a job application or on the internet.
  • Only give it to an employer after you start working for them.
If your number is stolen follow the link below on what could happen.

Am I being taxed correctly?

When you first start work you will complete a form know as a Tax File Number Declaration Form(NAT 3092). If you do not complete the form you will be taxed 49% of your income to the tax office.

Do you need to lodge a tax return?

If you had tax taken from your income the you probably need to complete a tax return but if unsure then check out the link below and complete the questionnaire.

Lodging a tax return.

If you did paid tax then it is best to complete your tax return by the 31st October each year, if doing your tax return yourself and not using an accountant.

Why you have to pay tax and super?

Do you want to know more and especially why? Then this is a great site to help you understand.