Mrs. Farmer's ELA/Reading Classroom
Be a Trailblazer. Be a Writer.
Mrs. Farmer's Weekly News: 1/18/16-1/22/16
- Excited for next week as we dive into our new novel, A Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank.
- Reading projects will be due FRIDAY 1/22/16, due to the media center being closed for several days.
- The book orders are coming in this week, if you ordered a copy of our novel and got it in by Monday of this past week. Otherwise, your child will receive it later.
- Make sure your child continues to read at least 30 minutes a night! Thank you!
Common Core Standards Covered This Week:
RL.6.1: Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
L.6.1: Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
RI.6.7: Integrate information presented in different media or formats.
RL.6.9: Compare texts in different forms in terms of their approaches to similar themes and topics.
W.6.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, concepts, and information of relevant content.
RL.6.10 By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature in the 6-8th grade complexity.
LEARNING TARGETS FOR THE WEEK:
I can identify identify grammar mistakes in a passage of writing and correct them.
I can compare and contrast two texts on a similar theme.
I can write informational texts to examine a topic.
I can close read two reading passages, compare qualities of the narrators, and write an extended response.
I can read a variety of different texts.
Monday: NO SCHOOL!!
Tuesday: Bellwork. Students will complete a timeline activity of the Holocaust and World War II.Students will finish the webquest in Google Classroom and turn in for a grade. Students will listen to "The Short Life of Anne Frank" and respond to questions.
Wednesday: Bellwork. Students will finish, "The Short Life of Anne Frank" and complete questions and fill in anticipatory guide for the novel.
Thursday: Bellwork. Students will read and answer the constructed responses.
Friday: No Checkpoint. Students will submit their book projects. Students will finish their constructed responses and discussion of the novel.
Grades: Weekly Bellwork, Extended Response, Book Project
Resources for the Week!
Writers of Excellence from this week! Way to go!
4th Period: Kate Stewart, Yancy Dunn
5th Period: Serena Pollack, Victoria Frazier
6th Period: Shelley Lemacks, Clayton Gibson
These winners enjoyed a certificate of achievement, a coupon to sit at a different table at lunch with a friend, and a week in our special area sitting (picture below). They loved the comfortable seats! :-) New winners will be announced tomorrow based on their weekly writing.
Mrs. Farmer's Writing Hall of Fame Winners!
Future Educators of America Club!
- Students who attended the last meeting can meet during Mrs. Farmer's homeroom this week to put together the bulletin board featuring teachers at Madras Middle School.
- Next meeting! Tuesday, February 9th after school until 4:15 p.m. (Please notice that the date moved back a week due to a meeting complication. Thank you!
- Two future opportunities in the works:
- Partnering with local school to teach a lesson to students. (After the Georgia Milestones Testing)
- Speaking to upcoming 5th graders on life at Madras Middle and as a sixth grader.