Basic First Aid for Children
keep your child alive
Checking and Injured or Ill Child
- For infants rub the bottom of their foot.
3. Open their airway.
4. Check for breathing.
- Changes in breathing are normal for infants.
- Gasping is not breathing.
- Child- Pinch the nose and make a seal over the mouth.
- Infant- make a seal around the mouth and nose.
7. If there is no breathing perform CPR, if there is monitor for any changes in breathing and if the chest does not clearly rise after rescue breaths perform unconscious choking.
5 Safety Tips
2. When performing CPR on an infant make sure to only push 1 1/2 inches deep rather than the child and adult version of pushing in 2 inches.
3. Always monitor the breathing of anyone who is injured or may be in a dangerous situation.
4. Comfort and reassure children that everything will be okay.
5. When an infant is choking place two or three fingers at the breath bone and compress 1 1/2 inches deep.