HCS Curriculum & Instruction
September 2015 Newsletter
The Grading Grind: Will You Be a Coach or an Umpire?
What Is Erin's Law?
DOK: Depth of Knowledge Rising to Spotlight in HCS
ACT has chosen to use Webb's Depth of Knowledge as a framework for developing questions for the assessment. Click here to read more about the types of tasks and questions our students are being asked. The graphic gives examples of questions from Levels 1-4.
Hoover students and teachers have access to 24/7 Live Chat in Canvas. After you log in to Canvas, click on Help in the top right corner. Chat with Canvas Support will be the fourth option in the Help Area. You can also call the Support Hotline at 1-844-802-9014.
Parent Observer Accounts
Parents can create observer accounts in Canvas by clicking the banner on the home page. Parents will need the student's email account to register.
Google Classroom Updates
- Share to Classroom Extension-The Share to Classroom extension gets you to webpages your teacher shares, without you having to type out the whole URL. You can also push web pages directly to your teacher.
- Question Driven Discussions- Teachers can easily create questions to check for understanding. Also, teachers can choose to allow students to comment on each other's answers or not.
- New Post Button (+)- Look for the new + Post button to create Assignments, Announcements, Questions or to reuse a post.
- Reuse Assignments- You can now reuse assignments, announcements or questions for any class and year.
- Calendar Integration (Soon)- Classroom will automatically create a calendar for each class in Google Calendar. All assignments will a due date will automatically be added to this calendar.
- Bump a Post- Move a post to the top of your classroom stream.
- Due Dates Optional- You now have the option of creating an assignment without a due date.
- Attach a Google Form to a post (Soon)- Attach a Google form to a posts and assignments.
Follow the Google blog for more information.
Welcome to the Hoover City Schools Family!
Are you interested in pursuing National Board Certification?
Have you ever wondered if this process is for you? If so, please join Tammy Dunn and Dr. Pamela Harman on Thursday afternoon, September 24. We will meet from 3:45 until 5:00 in the Old Berry Media Center to discuss the assessment process, the cost, the time requirements and the support for candidates.
Dr. Harman will also be meeting with Hoover NBCT's who are interested in learning more and gaining support as they undergo the renewal process.
Your attendance is not a commitment to complete the assessment. Come and hear what 145 Hoover National Board Certified teachers already know. This process will deeply impact you as a classroom teacher and forever change the way you look at your teaching practice.
Register at STI PD # 158cis15-100.
Alabama has new course of study for science and Hoover teachers are exploring the standards
Secondary teachers have been asked to focus on two of the science and engineering practices during this school year:
- Engaging in argument from evidence
- Obtaining, evaluating and communicating information
To embed these practices in our curriculum our teachers have all been asked to include four argument driven inquiry (ADI) lessons into their courses during this school year. Many teachers have already begun the process and are sharing their experiences with colleagues, on twitter and other social media.
Read about Kristen Bundren's AP biology AID lesson HERE.