Sticky and Slimy Earthworms
Earthworm Dissection Lab
- Name the organs of the earthworm
- One will observe the external and internal structures of the earthworms
The lumbricus terrestrius' main predator are birds and more specifically robins.
The lumbricus terrestrius is known almost everywhere because humans have brought them everywhere the travel.
The mainly eat/prey on small microorganisms and decaying animal matter, and on occasions fungi.
HIGHLIGHT Circulatory System
Organs of the Circulatory System
Intestine: Absorbs the nutrients from food such as algae.
Aortic Arches: This organ uses oxygen absorbed by the skin and pumps the oxygenated blood throughout the earthworm's body
Anus: The opening of the Intestine.
Ventral Blood Vessel:This blood vessel is where unoxygenated blood comes back.
Dorsal Blood Vessel: This blood vessel delivers the oxygenated blood.
Excretory Organ: The excretory organ is responsible for excreting any wastes wether it be from cellular respiration or eating.
- There are over 6,000 species of earthworms.
- If you put earthworms in a compost bin and put several earthworms inside, it will fertilize the compost.
- The "Night Crawler" was an invasive species brought over during America's colonization.
- The earthworm is both male and female. They produce eggs and sperm.
- A glacier that swept over the northern contiguous United States nearly wiped out all earthworm species in that area.