Healthy Aging for 40+
by Emma Jackson and Nathaniel Gauna
Live an active life:
- Exercise regularly - even if it's just walking around your block for 10-30 minutes.
- When exercising try to incorporate aerobic, balance, and muscle-strengthening activities
- Eat healthy food, such as fruits, vegetables, and whole-grain foods
- Avoid foods that are high in sodium, sugar, and processing
- Get enough sleep, around 7-9 hours
- Practice good hygiene and get vaccinated
- To avoid falls make sure you check your home for possible hazards, use assistive devices, get your vision checked, and get enough calcium and vitamin D
- Limit consumption of alcohol
- Maintain a sense of purpose
- Exercising regularly benefits both your mental and physical health.
- Playing card games, such as poker or even memory games can keep your mind sharp.
- Read a book
- Learn to play a musical instrument or learn a new language
- When you are stress, try relaxation techniques such as circular breathing, yoga, or meditation.
- Talk to a loved one or a counselor about your stress
- Avoid making poor decisions regarding your wellbeing
- Maintain communication with friends and family.
- Schedule time to hang out with family and friends.
- Get involved in your community and meet new people.
- Don't be a loner, make friends!
"Ten Tips for Healthy Aging." Ten Tips for Healthy Aging. Web. 17 Nov. 2015.