The Sequiota Scoop
Monthly School Newsletter - December 2022
A Note from Mrs. Wagner
This time of year always goes by so quickly but is also full of fun and family which brings such joy. I want to personally thank all of the families that bought Village Inn gift cards for our staff. It is truly a staff favorite year after year. My family enjoyed a french silk pie for Thanksgiving.
I have even more gratitude for those that also donated to our clothing drive. We were able to deliver multiple bags full of items to both our sister school and the PTA clothing bank. Congrats to our second-grade students who earned the lunch and movie celebration with Mr. Brown for bringing in the most items.
Our next big event is our Winter Parties. Our PTA has already worked very hard to organize this event. Check out their newsletter and volunteer sign-ups at the end of this newsletter for more information. Parties will be hosted on Dec. 22 during the student's special's time. Parents who signed up to volunteer (with a completed volunteer process) are welcome to attend the parties.
Once again, please enjoy your family time this month with the Holidays and breaks. I know that time is precious and goes all too fast. I will soak up my time with Cole and our family for sure!
One of the skills we work with students on is the Skill of Choice. This skill focuses on the reality that the only person you "make" change is yourself.
We use the following language stems to build the skill of choice with students:
- “(Child's Name), you have a choice. You may __________ or __________. Which is better for you?”
- Example: Nathan, you have a choice! You may eat your pizza or drink your drink. What is better for you? Way to go, you decided to drink your drink.
Remember: There are NO RIGHT ANSWERS, just a focus on two positive actions that achieve your desired outcome.
See the video below for more information on two positive choices and when to offer them.
You may find more information at https://consciousdiscipline.com/
- This approach is helpful at home and school.
Dec. 15th: PAT Story Time 9 am in the Library
Dec. 20th: PAT K-prep 5:30 pm in the Cafeteria
Dec. 22nd: Winter Parties (hosted by the PTA)
Dec. 23rd- Jan. 3rd: Winter Break
Dates to know in January:
- Jan. 4th: Students return after Winter Break
- Jan. 12th: PTA Board Meeting 2:00 pm in Sequiota Library
- Jan. 12th: PTA General Meeting & Skate Night 6pm at Skateland
- Jan. 16th: NO SCHOOL
- Feb. 3rd: Mid-Quarter
Call All Volunteers
We need Volunteers for upcoming Winter parties (and other upcoming events)
You can start the volunteer application process here.
Use this ID: 14095023
Winter Party Volunteer Sign-up
Click the image above to sign-up as a volunteer for our Winter Parties.
UPDATES FROM PREVIOUS NEWSLETTERS
Sequiota Behavior Expectations
CLICK ON THE IMAGE (to the left) TO ACCESS OUR BEHAVIOR MATRIX
This document outlines our behavior expectations for every area of the building.
Teachers will begin teaching these expectations to our students during the first week of school and will continue to reteach these expectations throughout the school year.
Feel free to review these expectations with your children to help reinforce positive choices at school.
Breakfast and Lunch Updates
If your child is eating breakfast at school please arrive no later than 7:00 am so they have plenty of time to eat breakfast in the cafeteria.
Students may pack a lunch but microwaves will not be available.
If you have not yet submitted your application for free/reduced lunches, please click HERE
Reduced Price Breakfast $0.30
Full Price Breakfast $1.60
Reduced Price Lunch $0.40
Full Price Lunch $2.95
Ala Carte Milk $0.65
Menus and how to add money to your student's account can be found here
Please do not send sodas with your child for lunch.
Visitors & Volunteers
In order to be in the building as a visitor during school hours, you must register with our visitor management system in the front office. This requires a driver's license.
If volunteering for the school during school hours we ask that you complete the volunteer application and background check.
For more information please visit this website: https://www.sps.org/volunteer OR contact Sara Atkinson our school secretary and volunteer coordinator in the front office.
- All visitors must sign in through the hall pass visitor system. This requires a photo i.d. the first time you sign-in.
- Please limit the number of visitors who come for lunch to two adults. Non-SPS siblings should not attend with the visitors.
- Please save these visits for special occasions - students need to interact with their peers at lunch.
- Families must sit at the visitor tables with their child only (other students will not be allowed to sit with you). There are two designated tables to sit at (look for the signs that say "Visitor Table"). Please do not bring food for other students either.
- Please do not wander around the lunch room interacting with all students. This is a connection for you and your child.
- Once we start dumping trash for your child's grade level please say your goodbyes and have them return to their class tables.
- Please show up on time. It's hard for students to watch their peers eat while waiting.
- Please refrain from taking pictures with other students in the background. Some of our students are on a media block and we do not want to dishonor their parent's wishes.
Download the SPS App on your phone for instant updates, access to eSchool, meal pay, Canvas and more!