Distance Learning at Jackson
--Schedules, Expectations, Communication, and Next Steps--
Principally Speaking with Mrs. Miller
I hope this update finds you all healthy and doing well! On behalf of the Jackson staff, let me say that we sure do miss our students! We are hoping for all of this to be over soon so we can see our students walking the halls, jumping and climbing in the gym, or laughing with their friends on the playground. As challenging as it is right now, I have been taking the opportunity to find the positives in this situation. I have been spending quality time with my son, hanging out with my husband, and taking my 9 year old Golden Retriever, Bella on walks everyday! I hope that you, too, are trying to find strength in being together with your family.
With that said, I want to let you know about the upcoming expectations, schedule, and next steps as they pertain to our 'new' normal of distance learning. Our goal is to provide you and your student(s) with the most meaningful lessons we can. There are still a few details that School District 11 is working out, such as getting technology into the hands of the students who need it most and mailing Choice Boards to families who don't need/want technology. As you can imagine, having a "Stay At Home" order from the state of Colorado has made many of these decisions a challenge.
In light of this unique situation, one of our key words will need to be FLEXIBILITY over the next few weeks. The Jackson staff will be flexible with your family's schedule, needs, and resources. We understand that every home is different and we want to support our Jaguars as best we can.
Communication between families and teachers, will also be critical. The Jackson staff will communicate regularly with you and your students through not only phone calls and emails, but also Remind/Dojo and our Jackson website. I am going to ask, in return, that you provide flexibility and communication with us as well, as distance learning is new for all of us.
Finally, as I have stated before, we will get through this and come out better and stronger. I truly believe that! I really would like for all of us to stay as connected as possible. Please feel free to reach out to your teacher, reach out to our Teaching and Learning Coach Mrs. Johns, reach out to our School Counselor Mrs. Thomas, and absolutely, reach out to me! We are here to support you the best we can.
Give your child(ren) hugs from the staff at Jackson!
Principal, Jackson Elementary
Like us on Facebook: Jackson D11
Distance Learning Schedule and Expectations
- Every Monday will be planning day for teacher teams to create distance learning content and assignments. Tuesday - Friday of each week will consist of the actual lessons from your classroom teacher(s).
- Depending on the grade level, expect no more than 2-3 hours worth of learning each day
- For those of you with technology at home, whether by computer or smart phone, lessons will be recorded so that students can access them at any time.
- For those of you who currently do not have access to technology, Choice Boards will be mailed to your home. Please make sure your address is up to date on Q or by leaving a voicemail at Jackson.
- Teachers will have "office hours", Tuesdays-Fridays, where they can be reached by phone, email, Remind/Dojo, or WebEx for virtual meetings/lessons (more info coming on Webex)-your child's teacher(s) will inform you of their office hours.
- Everyday, a portion of this work will include a Specials lesson, which will consist of a primary (K-2) or intermediate (3-5) Music, P.E., Science, and/or Art lesson
- There will be tech options and non-tech options for all families. Again, D11 is working on distributing the necessary tech when possible (starting April 6th with high school and middle school being the priorities) while under the "Stay at Home" order.
- Instruction and grading will be based on previously learned standards and material from this year before the closure.
- The work completed will help to improve grades. Grades will not be lowered due to these unforeseen circumstances.
- Work can be completed by students when it is most convenient for the family schedule.
- Some work may be daily lessons or may consist of multi-day projects.
- Choice Boards will be updated and can be utilized, if needed. District 11 Choice boards can be found here: www.d11.org/distancelearning
- Students and families are highly encouraged to keep in communication with the teacher and needed support staff.
Week of: March 30-April 3
- Teacher Professional Development and Planning Day to prepare for distance learning
Tuesday, March 31 - Friday, April 3:
- Teachers and support staff will be in touch with families via a phone call to check-in and provide specific information. This information will include office hours for each teacher, learning session time, and to help answer any questions you may have
- New Choice Boards will be available on the D11 distance learning website.
Mrs. Thomas' Counseling Corner
Dear Jackson Families,
I wanted to let you know that about the best ways to get in contact with me directly is through the phone number and email listed below. During this uncertain time, I am here for you!
Do you have any questions on:
- School Work
- Food Support
- Social Emotional Support
- Anything else that you may have questions about
I may not know all of the answers but I promise to find them out for you.
Trust me when I say I miss your child(ren) and am looking forward to when we are all back together. Again PLEASE reach out to me, I am here. My contact information is listed below.
Best Regards! ☺️
School Counselor - NBCT
Jackson Elementary School
719-328-5836 Direct Line
719-260-8813 Fax Line
From the Jackson Library
- Electronic access to Pikes Peak Library District has been given to ALL District 11 students.
- To log in to PPLD.org, students will use their regular usernames and their password which is their birthdate (0409 for April 9).
- On the PPLD.org website, you can check out eBooks or go to Services, then PPLD kids for amazing resources.
- Contact Mrs. Sobecki at Rhonda.firstname.lastname@example.org if you need more assistance.
- Teachers have "Teacher Websites" on the Jackson website. They will be updated regularly.
- Parents/Guardians-please check the "Student Resource" page on our website for new links with activities.
- Staff Story Times on our Jackson website is coming!
- All state testing (CMAS) will not take place this school year, as determined by Colorado Department of Education