Keystone Review Guide
Juan and Aaron
- water heat more slowly and retains heat longer than many other substances.
- Cohesion is an attraction between substances of the same kind.
- surface tention is when a thin layer of water molecules are bounded together by hydrogen bond. (ex: people holding hands)
- Water is attracted by similarly polar substances. Adhesion is an attraction of different substances.
- Because of Adhesion things can get wet because of the attraction of different kinds
- Polarity enables substances from dissolving in water.Ionic compounds and polar molecules dissolve best in water. Non-polar molecules do not dissolve in water
- acids are when compounds form hydrogen ions when dissolved in water.
- compounds that reduce the concentration of hydrogens ions in a solutions is call bases
- Ph is the level of acidic acid. it goes from 0-14 (water is 7)
- Macromolecules are made of carbon
- have to be made of carbon to be organic
- Types of Macromolecules are Carbohydrates (sugar), Proteins, Lipids (fat), and Nucleic Acids
- Carbohydrates are organic compounds made of hydrogen (H), carbon (C), and Oxygen. Key sours of energy for the body. Ratio of c 1:2:1. food in most food.
- types are monosaccharides. Fucntion: basic source of energy.
- Disaccharides functions: Basic engery. examples are lactose
- Oligosaccharides functions: cellular sign posts
- Polysaccharides Function: Starch-engery bug covering. Example: cellulose.
- A protein is large molecule formed by linked smaller molecules called amino acids
- Amino acids are building blocks of proteins.
- There are twenty different amino acids found in proteins
- There are electric and non charge, as same for polar and non-polar
- There shape are determine by how they react with water and with each other (shape very important for a protein)
- Types of protein of are collage which is found in your skin, bones, tendons, etc
- proteins have many functions some help your muscles move others helps us cary oxygen from lungs to body tissues.
- Nucleic acids are a long chain of smaller molecules called nucleotides.
- Nucleotides has three parts sugar, a base, and phosphate group. This contains phosphorus and oxygen atoms.
- Types of Nucleic Acids are DNA and RNA.
- DNA is made of two stander nucleotides that spiral around each other.