The Shift to All Back In
March 3, 2021
Dear HMS Parents, Guardians, and Students,
As you have already heard from the Raider Update, we are planning to have grades 5-8 students return to our building on Tuesday, April 6. This shift to in-person learning is for our non-HOA students who are currently in Hybrid. This newsletter is to offer reminders and to explain the recommendations that we are following as directed by the MN Department of Health and the MN Department of Education.
Last summer, we built our schedule and process to be able to smoothly transition between learning models. The beauty of our schedule is that there are not huge shifts for our students to re-adjust to. There are aspects that will be the same and there are some small changes. Here we go!
Staying the Same
We will continue to have our 1,3,5 and 2,4,6 rotation for our schedule. It is important for us to keep this in place in case we ever need to shift out of in-person learning.
Our building hours will remain the same 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Students will not be able to enter the building until 7:40 and will continue to head directly to their first period class. We have worked with the bus company to make sure that they are not dropping students off before this time and we ask those who are driving your student to not come earlier to avoid students gathering. If there is severe weather, we will not make students stand outside, but please use the 20-minute window for arrival (7:40-8:00 AM).
We are still responsible for contact tracing for COVID-19. Students are still in their learning groups, lunch will still be in classrooms (for a majority of our students), and we are working hard to stagger how students travel in the hallways.
Students will not be assigned or using a locker. Students will carry their backpacks and hang coats on their chair.
HOA will continue to have Flex Days on Wednesdays.
- Students will be returning to HMS on April 6. We will no longer have Flex days on Wednesdays for our district learning model students.
- We are required to keep students 3-feet apart when they are inside our building. The recommendation is also, where possible, to follow the 6-feet social distance rule. In addition, classrooms where students will be eating lunch will be equipped with desk/table barriers as students will be removing their masks to eat their lunch.
- Grade 5-8 students will not be in school on Thursday, March 25 and Friday, March 26. These will be teacher transition days for shifting back to in-person learning. Students should use these two days to complete unfinished work as this is the end of the third quarter. HOA students WILL have school the 25th and 26th.
- Monday, March 22 will be a cohort 1 day and Tuesday, March 23 will be a cohort 2 day.
- We have adjusted the HMS Learning Phases. The last week before spring break will continue to be periods 2,4, and 6th hours. There are some other changes and you can see that by clicking here.
- Wednesday, March 24 WILL still be flex day.
Safety Reminders to All Students Returning to HMS
- Families should continue the practice of keeping students home if they are not feeling well. Please make sure that the attendance line is called if your student is ill.
- We are continuing the same practices when students are in the building--students should be wearing masks, practicing social distancing, washing hands and using provided hand sanitizer (these are our best mitigation strategies!).
HMS Learning Phases Reminders
We will continue to follow our learning phases focusing on 3 classes. They are listed here and will also be posted on our website.
March 8 - March 24
Period 2,4,6 phase (Flex Days on March 10, 17, 24)
April 6 - April 20
Period 1,3,5 phase (no flex days)
April 21 - May 5
Period 2,4,6 phase (no flex days)
May 6 - May 20
Period 1,3,5 phase (no flex days)
May 20 - June 4
Period 2,4,6 phase (no school on May 31, 1/2 day on June 4)
The link to the calendar is in the CHANGE section above and will be posted on our website:
- 1,3,5 phases are in BLUE
- 2,4,6 phases are in YELLOW
- You will see a small 1 and 2 on dates. These are the cohort days aligned with the district. We will not be doing cohort 1 or 2 during in-person learning, but are keeping them on the calendar in case we shift back to hybrid.
Hastings Family Move Mindfully Free Event
Join us for the Hastings Move Mindfully Family night Zoom event March 9th or April 22nd 6:30PM-7:30PM hosted by Move Mindfully.
What you will learn:
›› Morning Routines, After School Transitions
›› Bedtime Routines, Building Connections
›› Successful Schoolwork Strategies
Register in advance for this meeting:
Use this link to our district website to check on our district numbers.
Bridge to Learning
Click here to find most information you will need for items related to your student's learning.
Our counseling office is always available for students who need support. Click here to access help!