The Official Newsletter of Combs High School
To view this newsletter in it's intended format please open in your browser
GO COYOTES !!!!!
JOEY JENSEN, AZ Cardinals PLAYER of the WEEK
GREAT NEWS FROM COMBS DRAMA DEPARTMENT
1. In September, Combs Drama's Candle Fundraiser raised over $2000. This money will go to future travel scholarships for our drama club members.
2. In October, Combs Drama raised over $500 of hygiene items to donate to Compassion Care Center. These items will be redistributed to families in need.
3. During the month of November, we have been rehearsing hard for our winter play, Fox on the Fairway. It is on track to be filmed on December 8 and released to the public on December 18th. This is a completely streaming video of the entire play, and represents our efforts to continue to bring great performances to the community, even in the times of social distancing.
4. Also in November, Combs Drama conducted a series of workshops for our new students. These student-led workshops instructed students on musical theatre choreography, improv, script analysis, lighting, and much more. This was a replacement event for the cancelled Arizona State Thespian Festival, but the show must go on!
5. Mya Richards, Tawny Johnson, and Alora Hawman competed at the Arizona Thespians college scholarship auditions over this past weekend. All three have since been contacted by universities and are in talks to receive scholarship money. Universities that have called so far include GCU, NAU, and AMDA. In addition, Mya Richards received the Steve Halper Theatre Educator Scholarship from Arizona Thespians. Mya is the first Combs student to receive an Arizona Thespians Theatre Scholarship.
Did you know? Arizona uses a semester grading system which means that the half credit for each passing grade is awarded at the end of each semester. Students can earn 3 credits per semester, or 6 credits per year. To graduate, students need a total of 22 credits....4 in English, 4 in Math, 3 in Science, 3 in Social Studies, 1 in a Fine Art or Career and Technical Education class, and 7 additional electives. When a student fails a semester, credit is not awarded which could mean that the student is no longer on track to graduate. We are in the final stretch of semester 1...only 2 more weeks! While many of our students are doing excellent work, there are some who are struggling, and it will be important for those students to work hard to bring their grade up. Students who do not pass their semester 1 class will need to make an appointment with their counselor to go over options, and if needed, make arrangements to make up the class(es).
Current and Upcoming events:
- Tuesday, December 8: FAFSA Completion drawing...win 1 of 6 $25 Amazon Gift cards. Send a screenshot or forward your FAFSA confirmation email to Mrs. Petersen at email@example.com no later than Monday, December 7.
- EVIT registration is now open! Go to www.evit.com and click on enroll now to sign up. Remember, your GPA, attendance, and discipline information will be required and considered for acceptance. Make sure you have your documents!
- Winter Break: December 21 through January 4
- Tuesday, January 26: PSAT exam. CIf you missed the PSAT/NMSQT test in October, we are offering one more opportunity this year on January 26, 2021. You should take this test if you are a junior and want to be better prepared to take the SAT in the spring or fall of 2021, or if you are a sophomore and just want the extra practice. The test will be in the morning of January 26, 2021. If you want to sign up, follow directions for Total Registration in the email that was sent to all sophomores and juniors on 11/30. You cannot take the PSAT again if you took it in October. The cost is $20. Space is limited, so take care of the sign up ASAP if you want to participate!
CHS DANCE CONCERT MOVIE MADNESS
CPAC Events-Save the Dates
Save the dates for great performances and business trainings at the Combs Performing Arts Center!
December 10 and 11 at 7 pm Combs High School Dance Concert. Seating is limited. Advance Tickets at www.etix.com search Combs Performing Arts Center.
December 11, 2020-Combs High School Drama presents "Fox On The Fairway" FREE Streaming from the Combs Performing Arts Center! Performed by the Combs High School Advanced Theatre class, Fox on the Fairway is a farce that takes place in a country club during a tournament between two rivaling country clubs. Love interests, scandals, and so much more befall these characters in this delightful comedy!
December 18 at 6 pm-Combs High School Virtual Orchestra, Choir and Guitar Concert
December 18 at 6 pm-Combs High School Band, Jazz Band and Symphonic Band Concert https://www.facebook.com/CombsPerformingArtsCenter/
February 12, 2021-Piano Men Generations at 7 pm presented by TAD Entertainment celebrating the music of Elton John and Billy Joel. Tickets at www.cofare.io
Perceptual Sales Coaching Seminar- Body Language and How We Relate To It. presented by Stephen Chandler on January 14, 2021 at 11:30 am. Learn how body language influences sales and purchasing. Learn tools to improve your business. For more information contact Stephen Chandler 602 540 3997
January 22- at 8 pm Carvin Jones - World renowned blues guitarist Carvin Jones, rated in top 50 guitarists by Guitarist Magazine brings his Ultimate Guitar Experience to you! https://www.carvinjones.com/event-details/carvin-jones-combs-theatre
March 25-Small Business Symposium presented by Darling Companies, Designed From Scratch Concepts and Network Together. Tickets at www.localsmallbusinesssymposium.com
REQUEST YOUR TRANSCRIPT WITH PARCHMENT
CAC CONNECT CALENDAR
Due to Covid we are not able to do the CAC connect office live on your school campus so we are going virtual again for the fall semester.
We will have zoom check-in and chat sessions for students and parents on Wednesday’s starting promptly at 5pm for them to ask questions they have regarding CAC & details of how to become a CAC student.
Jump into Spring at Central Arizona College – Special Virtual Q and A Sessions Scheduled
Jump into Spring at Central Arizona College by attending one of the upcoming online informational sessions. Prospective and current CAC students can meet with representatives from the college’s Enrollment Services team to get questions answered on how to enroll for the Spring 2021 semester and beyond.
Admissions and registration, advising, financial aid, student accounts, and recruitment staff will be available via Zoom to have a live dialogue with students and help them navigate the admissions and enrollment process during the following Jump into Spring Enrollment Q&A Sessions:
· Thursday, 12/3/2020 from 10 to 11 a.m.
· Tuesday, 12/8/2020 from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
· Monday, 1/11/2020 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
To register for one of these sessions please visit: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=-NY-VARRI0aSTap2AF50qRvDlWf1JtlJo20fgdjnzsRUOUlXWVQ3S1A0TFRVVzc3NlZaTU5FVlRJRS4u. The Zoom link will be sent to those who register.
To find out more, watch a video about Jump into Spring at https://spark.adobe.com/video/1nTtT1EOONtWU.
INTERNET DISCOUNT OPPORTUNITY
Cox Communications is offering discounts on internet service for qualifying families, which is part of the CARES Act.
This program is called Connect2Compete. The parent has to complete an application and provide Cox with documentation that consists not only of school letterhead confirming student enrollment but also any other subsidy programs from which the family receives benefits. There are a plethora of FAQs on the website as well.
WINTER SPORTS SCHEDULES ARE UNDER REVIEW AND WILL RETURN JANUARY 5TH
Notice of Non-Discrimination
J.O. Combs Unified School District #44 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age or sexual orientation in admission and access to its programs, services, activities, or in any aspect of their operations and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. J.O. Combs Unified School District #44 also does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices. The following employees have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies: Compliance Officer for Title IX , Athletic Director, 2505 E. Germann Road, San Tan Valley, AZ 85140 or 480-882-3540 and Compliance Officer for Section 504/ADA, Director of Student Services, 43371 N. Kenworthy Rd, San Tan Valley, AZ 85140 or 480-987-5300.
El Districto Escolar Unificado de J.O. Combs #44 no discrimina en base a su raza, color, religión, origen nacional, sexo, discapacidad, edad, o la orientación sexual para la admisión y su acceso a sus programas, servicios, actividades, o en cualquier aspecto de sus operaciones y proporciona un acceso igualitario a los Boys Scouts y otro grupos de jóvenes designados. El Districto Escolar Unificado de J.O. Combs tampoco discrimina en sus prácticas de empleo y contratación. Los siguientes empleados han sido designados para manejar las preguntas en cuanto a las pólizas de no discriminación: Funcionario de Cumplimiento de Título IX, Director Atlético 2505 E. Germann Road, San Tan Valley, AZ 85140 or 480-882-3540 and Funcionario de Cumplimiento para la Sección 504/ADA, Director de Servicios Estudiantiles, 43371 N. Kenworthy Rd, San Tan Valley, AZ 85140 or 480-987-5300.