4th Grade Weekly Happenings
Reagan Elementary - Leander Independent School District
Week of December 8
What Are We Learning This Week?
- continue context clues
- No spelling this week
- Addition strategies
- Subtraction strategies
- Early European Explorers
Science: Making Connections
- simple, parallel, & series circuits
- Analysis of expository text
- Blue packet handed out on Monday 12/8 and due after break on Monday 12/15 (posted on class website under Homework)
- 30 minutes per week of math fact practice (Xtra Math is recommended, but could use other websites and/or flash cards if you prefer)
- Online Reading Log & Questions - 80 minutes reading and online homework on website due Sunday evening 11/30; if you would prefer to turn in a hard copy, read 80 minutes and write a short BME (beginning-middle-end) summary on a piece of looseleaf paper. Three to five sentences, no more necessary.
- No spelling this week
Our current week
*USED BOOK FAIR ALL WEEK - $.25 paperbacks & VHS videos - stock up on reading material for the winter break! Buy 5 books and get a free snowman craft. Volunteer at the Reagan PTA website (see link below).
Monday 12/8 -
- red specials day (Weltzin library day - bring your books!)
- math homework sheet due to math teacher
- reading homework due (logged online by 5:00 Sunday 12/7 or handwritten summary & minutes read turned in during class today)
- spelling worksheet due
Tuesday 12/9 -
- orange specials day
Wednesday 12/10 -
- yellow specials day
- green specials day (Eddy library day - bring your books!)
- pajama drive ends
Friday 12/12 -
- blue specials day
For which specials (PE, Performing Arts, Visual Art, Library) your child goes to on what day, please see the Daily Schedule page on our classroom website.
On the Horizon - Upcoming Dates
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
New items from the previous week's newsletter are in italics below.
ON THE HORIZON - Upcoming Dates
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
New items from the previous week's newsletter are in italicsbelow.
- 4th Grade Holiday Party - 10:30 - 11:30
Monday - Friday 12/22 - 1/2
- Winter Break, NO SCHOOL
- Reagan Spelling Bee in MPR - 6:00 pm. For more information, see below.
- End of Second Nine Weeks
Monday & Tuesday 2/2 & 2/3
- Staff February Conference - NO SCHOOL for students (please note, it is a 2 day break this year, vs. the 3 day break from past years)
Holiday Party Information - Friday, December 19
Our students can't WAIT for the upcoming holiday party! There's a lot going on in 4th grade that day; here's some information you may find helpful:
PENNY GIFT EXCHANGE - FRIDAY, DECEMBER 19th
We will be celebrating on Friday, December 19th with a holiday party and a Penny Gift Exchange. Students are able to bring in a SMALL trinket type gift. This should NOT be something expensive, but rather something simple - for example, pencil cap erasers, pencils, piece of wrapped candy, sticker, etc - for each student in his/her homeroom. The morning of our party, students will exchange trinkets (much like a Valentine's card exchange). Gifts do not need to be wrapped or labeled to/from. *There are 22 students in Mrs. Weltzin's homeroom and 23 in Mrs. Eddy's; students are only to bring in penny christmas trinkets for their homeroom, not both classes.*Please understand that participation is optional; students do not have to bring in gifts.
HOLIDAY PARTY - FRIDAY, DECEMBER 19
10:30 - 11:30
Our class holiday party will be on Friday, December 19th from 10:30 - 11:30 in our classrooms. We will be making a snowman craft and enjoying some snacks. Please be on the lookout for some donations we will need to help make this event a success; you should be receiving an email sometime this week. Parents are more than welcome to join us; we'd love to have you! Please remember to check in at the office, and parking will be limited on campus, so Gupton Stadium will be available for parking if necessary. If you're leaving early on your holiday travels and wish to take your child with you when you go, please be sure to let either Mrs. Weltzin or Mrs. Eddy know when you leave.
FRIDAY AFTERNOON, DECEMBER 19
We will be winding down for the break Friday after our party by enjoying a movie afternoon. We will have the following movies available for viewing; students will sign up in class early next week. Please let your child's teacher know no later than Tuesday, December 16th if you would prefer that they NOT watch a particular movie so we may adjust his/her choices. You do not need to contact us if you are OK with all of the choices below.
- Rise of the Guardians (PG)
- The Santa Clause 2 (G)
- Ice Age (PG)
- The Polar Express (G)
- Frozen Sing Along (G)
Pajama Drive - Update
WEAR A PAIR! SHARE A PAIR!
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 7TH - THURSDAY, DECEMBER 11TH
The school pajama drive is winding down! On its first day, students turned in 216 pairs of new pajamas.With your continued generosity, Mrs. Delisi's Quest classes will meet their goal of collecting 475 pajamas. Please keep bringing those new pj's in until this Thursday, December 11th.
National Scripps Spelling Bee
Student in grades 3-5 are eligible to compete. The winner will advance to the next phase of the competition which will take place at Cedar Valley Middle School in Round Rock ISD on Tuesday, February 10th, 2015.
If you want to participate, click here to register. The 2015 School Spelling Bee Study List is linked below. Participation is completely voluntary and all preparation done at home.
For more information about Scripps National Spelling Bee,click here.
Hill Country Christmas Bureau Blue Santa
Elizabeth & Reanna