Living With Type 1 Diabetes
What to expect after you are diagnosed
What is diabetes exactly?
What You Should and Shouldn't Eat
- You should make sure you eat enough fiber, calcium, iron, and Vitamin A and C.
- Spinach or Kale
- Citrus fruits
- Sweet Potatoes
What You Shouldn't Eat
- Foods that are high in cholesterol, sodium, and fats. Also try and eat carbohydrates and proteins in moderation.
- Coffee Drinks (lots of sugar)
- White Bread
- French Fries
- Cereals with little whole grain and lots of sugar
- Canned vegetables with lots of added salt
- Sweetened Applesauce
What do you do to monitor your blood sugar levels? What do you do if it's too high or too low?
How can exercise help me?
People You Should See
- What do they do? They normally do general check-ups and treat you when you are sick.
- Why do I need to see them? They can help you come up with a plan for your diabetes if you don't see an endocrinologist and can also refer you to dietitians and other doctors who can help you in your "diabetes walk".
- Physician's Information
Southlake Family Medicine
731 E. Southlake Blvd., Suite 100
Southlake, TX 76092
-What do they do? They treat feet and problems in your lower legs.
- Why do I need to see them? Diabetes make poor blood flow and nerve damage in your lower legs more likely to happen. You may also get more infections on your feet easily and sores can turn into serious problems quickly if not treated.
- Podiatrist's Information
Alliance Foot and Ankle
1600 Lancaster Drive, Suite 102
Grapevine, TX 76051
- What do they do? They diagnose and treat all eye diseases and disorders and they can prescribe glasses or contact lenses.
- Why do I need to see them? Diabetes can affect the blood vessels in your eyes to have problems, but if found early they can be treated.
- Ophthalmologist's Information
Eye Consultants of Texas
2201 Westgate Plaza
Grapevine, TX 76051
Checking Your Blood Glucose (Blood Sugar): American Diabetes Association®. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/checking-your-blood-glucose.html
Diabetic Food List: Best and Worst Choices. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/diabetic-food-list-best-worst-foods
Living With Type 1 Diabetes: American Diabetes Association®. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/recently-diagnosed/living-with-type-1-diabetes.html
Your Health Care Team: American Diabetes Association®. (n.d.). Retrieved from www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/whos-on-your-health-care-team/your-health-care-team.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/