The Colgan Counselor
CCHS Sharks School Counseling News - Sept & Oct. 2021
In This Issue:
- Welcome to The Colgan Counselor 2021
- What Is a School Counselor, Anyways?
- "Be the 1 to" Campaign
- Meet the New Counselors: Ms. Colassard & Ms. Noble
- Student Spotlight: Sharks for a Year - Exchange Students
- Upcoming Events in Counseling
- College & Career Corner
Welcome to The Colgan Counselor
Thank you for reading, and as always, go sharks!
What Is A School Counselor, Anyways?
At Colgan High School, your school counselor is a resource for you in a variety of ways, including the following:
- Each school counselor is trained to help students with socio-emotional issues. While we don't provide long-term therapy, we provide a space where students will not be judged and where they will be heard through individual and small group counseling.
- Each school counselor is also trained to help you explore your options for when you graduate, whether you want to go to college, straight into the workforce, or anything in between. We want to help you reach your goals.
- We are in classrooms from time to time teaching lessons on socio-emotional/mental health and college/career options.
- We also work with students (and their parents/guardians) on developing their schedule, adjusting to life changes, finding success in their classes, interpreting test scores and transcripts, and some other issues as they arise.
Know that we are here for you, we support you, and we want to get to know you throughout your high school career. Please drop by the Counseling Office (located next to the main office, in the hallway between Commons A and the Library) - we're looking forward to working with you.
"Be the 1 To" Campaign
Meet the Counselors:
Ms. Colassard & Ms. Noble
This year, we have Ms. Colassard and Ms. Noble joining the Colgan Counseling team, and here are a few fun facts about each of them.
1. Pasta is my favorite meal (I love to cook). 🍝
2. I am a hardcore Washington sports fan (I love ALL sports). 🏈
3. I am a plant mom and love to garden. 👩🌾
1. I am a Dallas Cowboys fan.🏈
2. My favorite season is Fall. 🍂
3. I enjoy meeting new people.😊
Student Spotlight: Sharks for a Year - Exchange Students
Upcoming Events in Counseling
1. Be a member of the Junior Class (Senior Class 2023).
2. Have a cumulative 3.0 grade point average at the end of their Sophomore year. Students can check their GPA in StudentVue under Course History.
3. Have held TWO LEADERSHIP ROLES to which they were chosen by their peers or an adult leader within the past two years in school, religious or community sponsored organizations.
- Counselors will be stopping by 9th Grade World History I classrooms to deliver a lesson on the "Transition to High School" (Through Oct. 15). Students will also learn how to log into Naviance to complete an assessment to understand different learning styles.
- Counselors will be visiting 10th Grade Health and PE II classrooms to deliver a lesson on "Stress Management" (Through Oct. 28).
Academic Letter Awards
Red Ribbon Week
College and Career Corner
Important College/Career Events (October & November)
Here are some upcoming events:
- PWCS Virtual Financial Aid Night: Oct. 7
- Touch Base Conferences Oct. 11
- PSAT: Oct. 13 (during school day)
- HBCU Virtual College Fair: Oct. 16
- PWCS College Fair @ Colgan High School: Oct. 19
- ASVAB @ Colgan High School: Nov. 9 (during school day)
- FAFSA Hands-On Help Night: Nov. 9
- CFPA College Night: Nov. 16
Please visit the College and Career Planning page for up-to-date information. This link is updated regularly by PWCS.
College Visits (through November)
During the fall, representatives from various colleges and universities will come to Colgan HS, some in person and some virtually through Zoom to share with Juniors and Seniors about the interesting aspects of their college or university. These visits typically last 30-45 minutes. To register for a visit:
- Log in to your Naviance Student account
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and you will see a list of college visits scheduled in the What's New box
- Click on 'Show More' and it will list all the colleges scheduled
- View 'more info' for the college visits you are interested in
- For a virtual visit, Naviance will send you a zoom link to give you access to the session 15 minutes prior to the event
- For an in person visit, please show your teacher the registration on your device at the beginning of class. This will be your pass (and reminder) to the visit.
In Case You Missed It...
- "A Sea of Information" Handout for the Class of 2022 is on Colgan Counseling Canvas Page
- Seniors received a copy of their transcript & Credit Check to take home.
- Naviance Instructional Videos are on the Colgan Counseling Canvas Page
- Questions about the Senior Internship Experience(intern.colganhs.com)? Email Mrs. Riddle at: Riddlek@pwcs.edu or Mrs. Handville at Handvicr@pwcs.edu
- If you are interested in the Healthy Community, Healthy Youth (HCHY) club at Colgan, please email Mrs. Cynthia Brown for information. Her email is: Browncx@pwcs.edu
The Colgan Counselors
Mr. Jean Agosto: BO-C (email@example.com)
Mrs. Laura Latimer: D-F (firstname.lastname@example.org)
*Mrs. Latimer's students will temporarily be working with Mrs. Carol Fitzwater (email@example.com)
Mrs. Levette Hull: G-H (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mrs. Yanet Boyd: I-L (email@example.com)
Ms. Kathleen An: M (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mrs. Stephanie Swift: N-RI (email@example.com)
Ms. Tiana Noble: RO-S (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mrs. Erin Flaherty: T-Z (email@example.com)
Dr. Leah Byrd: College & Career Counselor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mrs. Claire Handville: Director ofSchool Counseling (email@example.com)