Mrs. Dearmon's Rockin' Fourth Grade
February 15th - 19th
- I had a wonderful time at the Children's Engineering conference in Roanoke this past week. I am excited to try some new challenges with the class soon!!!
- Report cards will be going home on Monday, February 15th. (or Tuesday if it snows)
- Thank you for the donations sent in this week for the Husky store. I hope to have the store this week. If you can still donate, please do! Thank you!!!!
- Our students will have the opportunity to shop at the book fair during library on Wednesday this week. The book fair will also be open to parents on Thursday during our multi-cultural/book fair night from 6-8 pm.
- Field Day t-shirt sales are also coming up soon!! Please be on the look out for the order form in the husky folder soon.
What is Going on This Week in Curriculum?
Mrs. Dearmon's Math Class
If there is no school on Monday, then everything pushes forward a day
- Monday we will be learning how to add and subtract fractions that are "friendly". That means that one denominator can be changed to the other one. This is much easier to add and subtract. The fractions will need to be simplified.
- Tuesday we will be reviewing the most commonly missed questions on the second quarter benchmark test. Then we will be continuing on with adding and subtracting fractions, but with "unfriendly" fractions. The students will have to find the common denominator by using the LCM of both denominators.
- Wednesday we will be reviewing how to add and subtract both "friendly" and "unfriendly" fractions mixed up.
- Thursday we explore adding and subtracting mixed numbers.
- Friday we will review all that we have learned during this unit. We hope to test this unit next Tuesday, February 23rd.
Ms. Olmeda's Math Class
We will continue to work on adding and subtracting fractions, simplifying fractions, and find the GCF and LCM.
So far this has been a very difficult unit for students. It is extremely important that students are consistently practicing this at home. I have uploaded a series of games to Power My Learning, and I have added some activities on Edmodo to practice as well.
Students should be completing their assigned homework each night, and they should use Edmodo or Power My Learning as an extra aid.
We will have a quiz this Tuesday on Adding/Subtracting Fractions, and our unit test will be this Friday. Just a reminder, the Edmodo code for Math is Group Code: 7svtet, and the Power My Learning code is 814846.
- Independent reading each day.
- Small groups will finish up working on word reference materials such as a dictionary, thesaurus, and glossary. They will be completing an IA quiz this week.
- Later in the week, the students will begin working on the concept of cause and effect.
- Newspaper and spectrum will be completed this week.
- The students will be completing their revision and editing of their fictional narrative.
- The final copy will either be typed in Google Docs or handwritten.
- None this week.
- The students will be starting VS 5 which covers the Revolutionary War in Virginia.
- There will be a quiz on Friday covering pages 1-15 of their interactive notes if there is a full week of school. If there is no school on Monday, then the quiz might get pushed to the following week.
Spring Run Elementary Room 500
Fourth Grade Teacher