August 1, 2021
It's an early start, but we are excited to welcome everybody back to the band hall for regular band classes tomorrow! The week is even more exciting because of our performance this Friday morning on WFAA Daybreak!
Please read through all of this newsletter as there is a lot of information this week!
Required Forms and Physicals - These are Past-Due!
Every student needs to have turned in their required forms and their physical by now. Students who have not turned in these forms will not be able to travel or perform with the band, including this week's WFAA performance. Find more info on our Registration Page.
Required Gear - Orders are Due Tomorrow!
Remember that orders for required gear need to be placed by the first day of school, August 2nd. See more info below
As we start a new year, we want to remind parents of the flow of traffic in the band parking lot. Garland ISD and Garland PD need us to ensure that the fire lanes are never blocked during student pick-up and drop off. This is a safety and legal concern. Please park in a parking space when dropping off and picking up your student. It only takes one car to block traffic for the other 200+ families trying to get through the parking lot.
We are asking that all students and parents/guardians download this free app and sign up for our group. When you sign up, please register with your first and last name.
Mandatory Parent Meeting
- When: Monday. August 9th @ 7pm
- Where: LCHS Auditorium
- Who: Parents/guardians for all Patriot Band Members.
First Day of School
- Students should bring their music and instruments on the first day. We will have a lot of information to cover, but we still plan on rehearsing during class.
- Band students may enter the school through the exterior band hall "ramp" door. Only band students are allowed to enter through this door. Students may store their instrument in the band hall before school either in a cubby (smaller instruments) or in the instrument storage room.
- The band hall will be open for students to practice before school until 7:20. Students who are not practicing will be asked to leave the band hall and report to the gym or cafeteria.
- Many students will have incorrect schedules Monday morning. Follow schedules as they appear in Skyward. We have been and continue to work with our counselors to correct students' band schedules.
Marching Band Schedule
You can find our full calendar on our website: http://www.lchspatriotband.net/. We strongly recommend subscribing to our calendar to help stay on top of our busy band schedule.
Note: All members of the Patriot Band must attend every rehearsal in order to participate at football games and other band performances. Rehearsals are a graded, cocurricular part of every student's band classes. Any absences must be communicated by a parent to Mr. Hudler and must comply with the Patriot Band Attendance Policy in order to be excused.
Week of August 2nd
Monday, August 2nd
- First Day of School - No Rehearsal
Tuesday, August 3rd
- 3:45pm - Call Time
- 6:30pm - Rehearsal Ends
Wednesday, August 4th
- 3:45pm - Call Time
- 6:00pm - Rehearsal Ends
Thursday, August 5th
- 3:45pm - Call Time
- 6:30pm - Rehearsal Ends
Friday, August 6th - Channel 8 WFAA Daybreak Performance
- 3:30am - Call Time
- 5:00am - Show Begins
- 7:00am - Show ends
- 7:45am - Approximate return time to LC.
- Flip folder and lyre are required
Saturday, August 7th
- 7:30am - Call Time
- 11:30am - Rehearsal Ends
Channel 8 WFAA Daybreak Performance
The producers at Channel 8 WFAA reached out to us this week to ask if our Patriot Band would perform live on TV as part of their Back-To-School programming! Our band will travel to the American Airlines Center Plaza in Victory Park and perform during Channel 8's Daybreak morning show. Details are as follows:
- When: Friday, August 6th. Call time at LC will be 3:30AM.
- Who: All wind players and drumline members (color guard members are invited, but not required to attend)
- Uniform: Students will need to wear their black LC Band polo tucked in with a belt and blue jeans. (New members who don't have a polo yet will be provided one to borrow next week since their orders have not been delivered. These polos will need to returned immediately after the performance on Friday. Please bring a shirt to change into after we get back to LC.)
- Transportation: We will take GISD school buses to and from Victory Park.
- Food: Snacks, water, and breakfast will be provided.
- Students will be excused from their first period class.
Students will need to bring a flip folder and lyre to this performance.
We are very excited for this opportunity to present our band to the community!
Required Supplies and Gear
Patriot Band gear must be ordered by the first day of school Monday, August 2nd in order to guarantee your student has everything they need for our first performances. Visit this link to place your order: Patriot Band Booster Store. Note: The online store will auto-generate a delivery date for your order. This date is incorrect. All items will be distributed to students in August.
There are several other items that students need to have based on their specific instrument that are not ordered or handled by the Boosters. Families will need to purchase these supplies directly from a music store, such as Music & Arts, or an online retailer like WoodwindBrasswind.com (Amazon is wonderful for a lot of things, just use caution when ordering musical supplies to make sure you are getting the correct items.) These supplies include items like reeds, valve oil, mouthpieces, metronomes. Every wind player will be required to have a tuner with cable pick-up and a flip folder and lyre (flutes just need flute-specific flip folder).
Fees will soon be available for payment through Skyward. Fees can be paid online through skyward or in the band office with cash or check made out to "LCHS Band."
The following are the fees that will be assessed:
- GISD Band Activity Fee: $200.00 **All Band and Color Guard
- Instrument Usage Fee $100 **Any student who uses a school-owned instrument, including percussion.
- Accompanist Fee: $40.00 ** Winds Only
Fees may be paid all at once or on the following schedule:
- August 15th, 2021 : $100.00
- September 15th 2021 : $100.00
- October 15th 2021 : $100.00
- November 15th 2021 : Remaining Balance
If you cannot make a payment by the due date, please contact the Director of Bands through email to make alternate arrangements. The Patriot Band will not exclude any student because of their family’s financial situation, but communication with the Director of Bands is essential.
We strongly encourage all members of the band to take advantage of private lesson opportunities this year. Lessons are incredibly beneficial to every student from Concert Band to the Wind Ensemble. They help students grow and improve individually, which is the best and fastest way for our band to grow and improve as an organization. This week the band staff will be reaching out to families who expressed interest in private lessons to help set them up and answer any questions. More information about private lessons can be found on our band website along with student applications and contact information for our amazing private lessons staff.