Blogs versus Wikis
Difference between Blogs and Wikis
Why use a Blog?
- Blogs facilitate group working and encourage reflective learning.
- It motivates students especially those who might not become participants in classroom.
- It is considered as an effective forum for collaborative learning.
- Excellent opportunity for students to read, write and discuss.
- Blogs are used as a diary where records of achievement and interesting materials are kept.
- The way Blogs are designed allows the reader to review posts according to categories and dates.
- Feelings of isolation for distance students are decreased through Blogs.
- Blogs allow a more creative response from students and connects them to contexts beyond the classroom.
Who uses blogs in education?
Blogs are mostly used by teachers in several ways such as online portfolios, personal reflective journals for students, record of field notes, specific spaces for knowledge sharing, space for student dialogue and class administration.Blog is a useful tool which helps communication between students in a classroom environment for diary entry.
How do we use Blogs in education?
Class managementIt is where learners are informed about class requirements, post handouts. Notices and assignments.
Blogs provide a space for teachers and students to work on further development in writings and other skills. Here, students are engaged in cooperative learning activities where ideas, research and suggestions are exchanged among peers.
A class blog allows students to discuss topics outside the classroom where everyone gets an equal opportunity to share their thoughts and opinions.
Blogs present, organise, and protect student work as digital portfolios. Teachers and peers can talk with a student individually on a developing work and give advice for further improvement.
Why use Wiki in education?
- Wikis enable students learn collaboratively as well as develop their writing and editing skills.
- Wikis are useful to distance learners who can contribute at any time convenient to them.
- Wikis allow students to view the assignment of previous cohorts and enable them to add their own information on the works which have been already posted.
Wiki is a way to encourage students to work together on class assignments and activities.
Ways to use Wiki in education.
- The use of Wiki enables students to improve their research projects.
- Students can add their thoughts as a sum up from the prescribed readings.
- A wiki can also be used for publishing course resources like handouts.
- Wiki can be used to design concepts.
- Wiki are tools for group authoring.
How can teachers use Wiki in education?
- Wikis allow teachers to share resources they have found with their students.
- They can use wikis to display work and use as a class website.
- Wiki is useful to write a class novel together.
- Teachers can motivate students to use a wiki to publish information about a particular topic that they have studied.
When to use Wiki?
- Team projects: Wikis are useful for people who live in different places but has an interest in a particular subject.
- Internal communication: Wikis are used by companies to develop a vibrant information database which helps each member add their advice and information.
- School lessons: Wikis are used to upload assignment to students. Students can also submit their assignment anytime and from anywhere.
- Meeting Notes: Meetings can be managed by wiki where members can discuss and suggest agenda items which can later be modified by the Team Head.
Advantages of Wiki.
- Wiki enables students to learn collaboratively.
- It develops students’ writing and editing skills.
- Distant learners can contribute anytime convenient to them.
- Students can view the assignment of previous cohort and add their own information on the works posted.
- Wiki allows teachers to share resources with their students.
- Wikis are useful to write class novels.