Volume 1, Issue 16: December 22, 2017
Well...it's time for Winter Break! I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season filled with lots of love and joy. Thank you for all of the lovely cards, gifts and cookies! I will miss all of the students!
-Ms. Kate Martin
Pictures of the Week
Thank you to all of the volunteers who made this party possible!
We really enjoyed the delicious waffles, treats and escape the room activity!
The students are preparing to debate about if hunting should be banned.
Writing: We agreed upon a controversial topic (hunting) to research. The students found the pros/cons, chose a side, and then worked together as a group to prepare for a debate.
Reading: We studied and identifies text complexity and structure in nonfiction texts.
Math: Orange Group: We finished our unit on fractions! Blue Group: We continued our algebra unit. Purple Group: We continued our place value unit. All students participated in our math "Escape the Room" activity!
Science: We continued learning about energy sources and transfer.
Enrichment: We had a social work lesson on using "I" statements in order to share our feelings appropriately. We also started learning about VEX robotics.
Looking Forward to Next Week
- Math: Orange Group: Starting decimals and fractions unit. Blue Group: Continuing algebra unit. Purple Group: Continuing place value unit.
- Reading: We will continue our nonfiction unit!
- Writing: Writing informational texts.
- Science: We will continue our energy/energy transfer unit, specifically thinking about how energy is transferred and circuits.
- Enrichment: We will learn about the VEX robotics kits and how to use them. This will include robotics and coding lessons.
Bored Over Winter Break?
Character Trait of the Week: Independence
This week many students received a list of missing work. These items must be turned in as soon as possible. When we return from break, I'll try to give students a sticky note with missing work items on a weekly basis. I'm hoping students will become more responsible about assignments, projects and homework!
A NEW late work policy will begin January 8th for my classroom. Students will receive -%5 off for each day any homework or project is turned in more than a day late. This means students will get a 1 day grace period. For example: If a project was due on Tuesday but was turned in on Thursday, it would be -5% off of the grade they earned. Keep in mind, absences a different situation. Students receive one day extra time for each day they are absent.
Winter MAP Testing
The winter MAP tests will take place on 1/10 and 1/17 for reading and math, respectively. The winter MAP test is used as formative data to determine how students are progressing toward their growth goals. I am looking for students to grow by at least half of their spring growth goals. Please review those goals with your child. They are listed on their MAP reports we went over during conferences and are also on their online educational portfolio website.
Lansing Field Trip
The Lansing Field Trip is scheduled for Friday, April 13. All 3/4 GT students will attend this field trip with the rest of the Woodland 4th graders.
We will be visiting the Impressions 5 Science Center in the morning and our Capitol Tours are in the afternoon. We will be leaving Lansing by 4pm.
More information and logistics to come.
-Independent Reading: Minimum 20 minutes
-Literature Circles: Reading and "job"
-www.learnzillion.com: Assignments on Google Classroom
-Daily math homework M-Th
- Please check your child's agenda nightly by initialing under "Parent Signature". I will also initial it in the morning to confirm they have written the correct information down.
- Friday Folders: They were sent home today! Please take out all the sheets and return the folder MONDAY.
- Bagel Sales! Pre-Order on Wednesdays of each week. All varieties cost $1, cash only. Bagels are delivered on Fridays.
- Order online at www.scholastic.com and use our class code R3CHK if you need books!
Upcoming Important Dates
12/25-1/5 Winter Break, No School
1/10 Winter Reading MAP Test
1/17 Winter Math MAP Test
1/15 MLK, Jr. Day - No School
2/21-2/23 Mid-Winter Break - No School
3/8 1/2 Day
3/9 1/2 Day
3/30 Good Friday - No School
4/2-4/6 Spring Break - No School
4/11 1/2 Day
4/13 Lansing Field Trip (All 4th Grade/GT Students)
5/11 1/2 Day
5/28 Memorial Day - No School
6/14 1/2 Day
6/15 1/2 Day - Last Day of School