The latest on eWT from Dr. Gillespie
From the CEO...
The digital eWalkThrough system is a research-based, best practice model for effective and efficient instructional leadership. If student success is the destination, education is the engine, and eWalkThrough is the fuel.
This system generates powerful feedback for growth, for decision-making, and for continuous improvement. Additionally, it is customizable, affordable, user-friendly, and the data are available instantaneously. An added value of eWalkThrough observation is that the integrated reports can serve as electronic evidence for Kansas Educational System Accreditation (KESA). The result: exponential gains in the quest for "Kansans Can!" Kansans will lead the world in the success of each student.
Because eWalkThrough observation has such potential as a catalyst to support both excellent instruction and a positive shift in learning (Walk-Through as Powerful, n.d.), this process is quickly establishing itself as best practice (Hopkins, 2010; David, 2008). When real-time observation data are collected and analyzed, they become a powerful source of fuel to support self-reflection and collaborative dialogue. The final results are clear (Protheroe, 2009). Program initiatives are actualized. Instructional strategies improve. Student achievement increases.
The team at Southwest Plains Regional Service Center is committed to continually supporting teachers in the effort to deliver excellent instruction. As professional learning is designed and implemented to support this vision, it is absolutely essential that student success remain the center of all our endeavors.
Expect the eWalkThrough Fuel quarterly from Dr. Kelly Gillespie, CEO of Southwest Plains Regional Service Center. Our professional learning team is dedicated to the design of innovative solutions that will deliver the results you require for your staff and your students.
eWT Fuel - Volume 2 Number 2
The research is clear.
- Quality of teaching is the number one factor affecting student learning.
- Collaborative dialogue is the number one factor affecting quality of teaching.
- Collaborative dialogue requires data.
The Digital eWalkThrough system will delivers these data.
- Data to transform instructional leadership.
- Data to nurture self-reflection and collaborative conversation.
- Data to metamorphose professional learning into differentiated, personalized support.
- Data to provide targeted, evidence-based feedback for growth.
Instructional leaders (district leaders, building leaders, coaches, and consultants) can now access a customized, comprehensive, and efficient method to:
- collect, disaggregate, analyze, and archive data; and
- deliver instantaneous feedback to teachers.
This is instructional leadership at its best. Quality of teaching improves, Student achievement increases.
It's More Than Test Scores
Student scores on achievement tests are not the sole indicator of excellent teaching. Best practice prescribes multiple measures of assessment and Southwest Plains Regional Service Center has taken action. Enjoy this brief video clip captured over 4 years ago! Positive gains in instructional quality across the state since that time stand as evidence that we are right on target! Instructional leaders and teachers receive feedback for growth, for decision-making, and for continuous improvement. Kansans Can ensure the success of every student. Excellent teaching can be delivered!
The digital eWalkThrough system allows instructional leaders to observe teaching in action, in real-time. The approach is simple. eWalkThrough teams in school districts and institutions of higher education observe teachers in classrooms over and over and over again, to generate snapshots of the instructional picture. With tireless dedication, teachers across the state of Kansas and throughout the country have been, and are being, observed using the eWalkThrough process; countless teachers, in numerous schools, and multiple districts.
eWalkThrough Data Drive Professional Learning
- Did the training make a difference in the quality of teaching?
- Have classroom instructional techniques and strategies changed as a result of the support provided?
- Do teacher need continuing support to improve the intended outcomes of the training?
- Did the professional learning event generate a reasonable return on investment?
Check Your Data
- Log in to www.structuredwalkthrough.com.
- Open your eWalkThrough tool and click on 'Reports'.
- Disaggregate the data as you desire (e.g., a teacher or PLC, content area, or grade level). [Note: if you have had a professional learning workshop in the last several weeks, mark the date of that training on the tool calendar so that you can review data collected since that training.]
- Generate the report and review using the four questions listed above. What are the data telling you? What do your teachers need?
This is instructional leadership in action!
Data for Growth & Continuous Improvement
- collected live, as instruction is being delivered;
- available immediately so that results can be viewed at any moment---after each individual observation, weekly, monthly, by semester, or for an entire academic year.
The eWalkThrough data tell the story. These data:
- provide instantaneous feedback to monitor progress and sustain continuous improvement;
- ensure that resources target specific instructional priorities and initiatives; and
- confirm that teachers are being supported with exactly what they need via differentiated professional learning.