SMS Raider News
Newsletter for the staff and families of Sunnyvale MS
Welcome everyone to the 2018-2019 school year!
Dear Sunnyvale Middle School Parents and Families,
Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year! We are excited for our students to return and are ready to get this school year started! Our staff, teachers, administrators and office staff have been working hard all summer to prepare for another amazing year at SMS.
We will work as a campus team to ensure that our students, staff and families have everything they need to be successful both in and out of the classroom this year. In addition, we believe the partnership between families and faculty will be vital to the success of our students. We look forward to partnering with our families to ensure our students have everything they need to thrive.
I want to say how blessed we all are to be a part of something special here in SISD. I believe that Sunnyvale ISD has an amazing school board that cares tremendously about our community, our schools and of course the most important thing...our students. Our district leadership, Superintendent Mr. Doug Williams and his team, also work tirelessly on behalf of our students and families. Most importantly we have parents and community members whom are extremely involved and dedicated to supporting the district. How can we not be excited for school to begin in SISD?
We are looking forward to seeing our students fill our hallways and classrooms again. It has been too quiet over the summer and we are ready to get started.
I strongly urge everyone to stay connected with what is going on at SMS. You can do this in a number of ways:
*Click the button to the right to "follow" (get Smore Newsletter)
*Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/smslearns/
*Make sure you have the Sunnyvale ISD APP
Here is to a great year! Go Raiders!
#smsRISE (Relate, Inspire, Serve, Excel)
Meet the Teacher on Monday, August 20th!
5th graders: You will be touring The Garage after picking up your packets. Then you will get to hear from your teachers and visit stations that they have set up for you.
6th/7th/8th graders: You will be starting in the gym and after a brief welcome from your Admin team, you will go to your first period class (on your schedule). You will then proceed though periods 2 through 7. Each period will be 7 minutes and this will allow you to meet your teachers and hear any important information about their class.
Make sure to check the info below. We look forward to seeing you there!
2018-2019 Bell Schedule (6th, 7th & 8th graders)
2018-2019 Bell Schedule (5th graders)
New teachers in the SMS Raider Family!
Please welcome our newest members of the SMS Raider Staff! Make sure to check out our SMS Facebook page, as we will be posting introductory videos for each one of our new staff members. We are so excited to have them here in Sunnyvale!
Keri Adams- Band
Traci Clayton- 5th grade ELA
Chelsea Colvin- SPED
Eileen Kendzior- 6th and 7th grade Social Studies, STEAM
Jennifer Monaghan- 5th grade ELA
Lindsey Neff- 5th grade Science
Rere Phillips- SPED, Career Adventure
Ashlee Rinestine- 5th grade Science
Cole Sullivan- SPED
Leslie Wagnitz- 6th grade Social Studies, SMS girls coach
Traffic Flow (Drop off and pick up)
There will be two lines to drop off your students as depicted in the picture below. Please have your student ready to exit the vehicle when it pulls up in front of the cafeteria. This will help in keeping the traffic flow moving. Please stay in line and do not pull out to the "middle lane". We want our students to be safe and it helps us to ensure this if you stay in the two lines.
If you need to come inside to the office you must park in the parking lot. Do not park in the drop off line.
Students will need to enter into the cafeteria doors every day. The cafeteria doors will open at 7:20am. If you drop off your student after 7:50am they must enter through the front doors to sign in tardy.
School will be out at 3:11pm.
Please form two lines as depicted in the picture below. Students will be coming out and finding their cars, walking between cars and going to both lines. Please be cautious when pulling up.
The afternoon is when it is ok to drive in the "middle" lane, ONCE you have picked up your student. Please be careful driving through as you are exiting the pick up line.
If you can please help us by reminding your child to be looking for your vehicle when they get outside...this will greatly increase the speed of the pick up line after school.
Support our Sunnyvale PTA!
- Sunnyvale PTA's Annual membership/Write-1-Check Campaign sets in motion our PTA's mission that will allows us To INVEST in our all SISD students/ teachers through out the ENTIRE school year.
- We INVITE all SISD parents, grandparents and community leaders to show their True Raider Gold Spirit by way of SUPPORT by logging on to our PTA Online store at Pt-avenue.com (organization code Sunnyvale PTA) or visiting us www.SunnyvalePTA.org to become a 2017-18 Sunnyvale PTA member & participate in our PTA's Annual Write-1-Check campaign.
- With your continued TRUST in our association & generous donation of *$40 per SES, SMS, SHS student (suggested amount based on last years student/teacher needs) HELPS ensure the vital funding for this years planned 2018-19 PTA sponsored in events/activities (listed below).
- All SISD Grade level activities: Class Parties, Academic Enrichment Field Trips, Sr. Scholarships, SES Field Day and End of Yr Celebrations.
- Special Olympics Bowling & Basketball Competitions.
- All SISD Teacher & Staff Holiday/Appreciation Luncheons, Hospitality Gift(s), Academic Enrichment support- Literacy/STEM Night.
- Fall Carnival & Silent Auction and 2017 Homecoming Kick Off Event, SES Family Night, SMS Powderpuff Game and 2018 Project Graduation.
Sunnyvale PTA looks forward to PARTNERING with you and serving all of our SISD students, teachers, and community this new school year.
Support our Sunnyvale Education Foundation (SEF)!
New Security Procedures at SMS
We would like to make you aware of some new changes when entering our building. Please understand that our number one priority is making sure your students are safe at school and thus can get the education they deserve while in our care. Due to our increased security procedures, you need to allow more time when coming into our building. Here are a few things that are changing about entering our school and what you can do to help it go smoothly.
- We will be asking questions when you buzz the button at the front door of the school. Please understand that we are making sure who is there and how we can help them.
- After being buzzed in the first door, there will be a second door that you will be buzzed in at once we are able to see you.
- You MUST have your ID (drivers license) on you to scan if you need to enter into our school. This includes going to the cafeteria, attending a meeting with a teacher, etc.
- If someone is checking out a student, they MUST be in the system as a guardian or on the emergency contact list. In addition, you will need to scan your ID in order to check them out. We will NOT check out a student to someone without an ID or that is not on the list.
Again, our goal is to ensure the safety of your child while they are at school. These procedures are in place to do just that. We appreciate your understanding and support as we continue to put the safety and security of our staff and students as our number one priority.
Spirit Days for the Fall...let's have some fun!
We want SMS to show their school spirit! We encourage everyone to dress up for the specific Spirit Days!
Please remember that the costumes/outfits still must be school appropriate. If costumes/outfits are not, the student will be required to change. A student's face cannot be covered (meaning no masks that cover the entire face while in the building).
Hope to see everyone having fun on the following dates!
A couple changes this year...
- Students will not be allowed to chew gum.
- No birthday treats delivered to classes (all treats, balloons, etc. will be kept in front office).
- This will be the last year for A/B Honor Roll Field Trips (at the end of the year). This is due to us transitioning to 4 campuses and being consistent across the district.
- 5th grade students will be in pods this year. They will be following a different bell schedule throughout the day.
Opportunities to help at SMS
- Campus events. If you would like to be help during campus events in the evenings, field trips, celebrations, etc. please fill out the volunteer form that will be in your student's folder at Meet the Teacher.
- Another way to support SMS is through sponsorship. If you or your business/organization would like to sponsor student incentives, staff rewards, and campus events all you need to do is fill out this short form https://goo.gl/forms/5FIcgDvGZspXqQEf1. We will be happy to include you and/or your business/organization information in our social media and other newsletters... just like this one.