BLFH and Summit Virtual
Weekly Newsletter, Week of March 21, 2022
Spring Is Here!
Good afternoon, Blackhawks! The close of this coming week marks the beginning of Spring Break. This means state testing and the end of the school year are fast approaching. As the weather warms up and Spring Fever sets in, be sure you are active daily in your education and not falling behind. Progress reports were sent out today to all secondary BLFH students and parents. If your student is behind, be sure to talk with them and make a plan to get caught up. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to the office. In this week's newsletter, you will find the following:
- Recognition of students of the week
- Harvey Swanson Spring Picture Day information
- Testing dates
- Secondary incentives
- 2022/2023 Summit Virtual Academy application information
- Senior EDP reminders
- Senior newsletter link
- Upcoming calendar dates this week
- Regularly included resources
Remember, BLFH students are welcomed and encouraged to participate in and attend school clubs, sports, activities, and events, and the spring season is upon us. If you would like further information, please see the Brandon athletic calendar here or contact the office at 248-627-1820. Also remember, secondary students should be logging 45-60 minutes per day per course in order to ensure they stay on pace. You have access to curriculum 24/7, Monday - Friday and can finish your courses early. Go Blackhawks!
- Mrs. Koslowski
BLFH Students of the Week
Ms. Muscarella: Liam Lutz - He works hard and shows his love of learning by always asking questions to help further his knowledge. Keep up the good work, Liam!
Mrs. Finn: Mason Blumerich - My student of the week is Mason for always challenging himself and being a leader in math and reading.
Mrs. Locher: George Buhler - George has shown so much growth this school year. He is always willing to participate, puts 100% effort into all assignments, and is a kind classmate. Keep it up, George!
- Lily Stock - Effieciently maintaining all As and Bs, on pace or ahead, shared her system of working on two classes per day, checks email on Thursdays, and is able to take Friday's off by getting all her work done, plus extra, on Monday through Wednesday. Way to plan your time wisely, keep it up!
- Nya Bass - Nya Bass she has really worked hard to get caught up and is doing well in all her classes now.
- MacKenzie Ulmer - MacKenzie has been working overtime to get all caught up in her online classes. She has been working with her teachers to get help when she needs it and all of her hard work is paying off with improved grades!! Way to go, MacKenzie... keep up the great work!
Harvey Swanson Elementary - Spring Picture Day, March 24 from 3:45 - 4:45pm
Spring Testing for All Students
- IMPORTANT: This year, the state of Michigan released a letter to schools and parents. In this letter, it states the following, "there is no acceptable way under state or federal law to allow an “opt-out” of state assessments." This means all students are required to test for MStep, PSAT, SAT, etc.
- At this time, the mask mandate has been lifted, which means that BLFH students do NOT need to wear a mask when coming in to test
- Students are to bring devices when they come in to test
- MS and Elementary NWEA testing TBA
- Tuesday, April 12 and Tuesday, April 19, 9:30am to 12:00 - Grade Four MStep Testing
- Wednesdays, April 13, 20, 26, and 27 from 9:30am to 12:00 - Grade Five MStep Testing
- Thursday, April 14 and April 21 from 9:30am to 12:00 - Grade Three MStep Testing
- Wednesday, April 13 - PSAT9/SAT11 testing, 7:45am
- Thursday, April 14 - PSAT10/Work Keys 11 testing, 7:45am
- Tuesday, April 19 - MStep 11 testing, 7:45am
- May 13 - HS NWEA testing
2022/2023 Summit Virtual Application
Senior EDP Reminder
Important Upcoming Dates
- Tuesday, March 22 - Spring Choir Concert
- Friday, March 25 - No School for students
- Monday, March 28 - Friday, April 1 - school closed for Spring Break
Library Tutoring - Free
Secondary Engagement Incentives
- Logging 600+ minutes per week in your online activity = entry into end of the year drawing for Brandon swag and tablet
- Present to all zoom sessions for the week = entry into end of the year drawing for Brandon swag and tablet
- On pace in all classes by the last Friday of the month, each month = local gift card mailed home