What Can I Do With My Major?
Building Sciences with a concentration in Construction Management develops students’ skills in both the management and technological aspects of the construction industry, so they can become leaders in construction and construction-related industries.
Building Sciences with a concentration in Sustainable Building Systems develops students’ skills in the analysis, evaluation and advancement of energy efficient design, construction and integrated building systems. As the financial and sustainability benefits of keeping occupants comfortable and healthy are better understood, businesses are investing in skilled professionals who can help them navigate the complexities of advanced building systems to achieve high performance in building comfort, health and energy efficiency.
Related Career Titles
Energy Conservation Specialists
Manufacturer’s Field Representatives
*additional experience or advanced degree may be required
Related Major Skills
- Ability to define and address complex problems, using creativity
- Awareness of the multifaceted circumstances surrounding a project, including cultural influences, environmental, social and political concerns
- Design skills, including the ability to visually communicate ideas to others
- Computer skills, most specifically computer-aided design (CAD), word processing, spreadsheets and project management software
- Coordinating work with others
- Developing budgets
- Explaining/Answering questions
- Following instructions
- Keeping records
- Knowledge and awareness of the construction industry
- Negotiation with vendors and clients
- Planning/Making decisions
- Project management
- Research and analytical skills
- Understand the importance of combining aesthetics with utility
- Verbal and written communication skills
Alert Construction Remodeling & Repair
Appalachia Service Project
Asheville Design Center
Baxter Johnson Contracting
Blue Ridge Enterprises
Capital City Homes
Capital Restoration and Waterproofing
Carl Tucker Construction
Cave's Custom Construction
Chad Everhart Architect
Clancy and Theys Construction
David Patrick Moses Architect
Eaveline Building Systems
Enterline & Russell Builders
Foscoe Construction Co.
Fred Smith Company
Green Life Construction and Restoration
Harmony Timber Works
Helios Solar Energy
Hoffman and Hoffman
Johnson Kreis Construction Co.
Mark Horton Architecture
Mountain Construction Enterprises
NCDOT Bridge Department
North American Roofing
Old Log Cabins
Olsten Building Company
Patton Construction Group
Prime Building Company
Security Vault Works
Shea Homes - Charlotte
Solar Decathlon Europe 2014
Stevens Fine Homes
Stonewall Construction Services
Sure Point Builders
Watauga Habitat for Humanity
Employers of AppState Grads
Balfour Beatty Construction Us
Bradley & Ball Architects
Calvin H. Cochran Architect
Chandler Concrete Company, Inc.
Fidelis Custom Homes
Fisher Marantz Stone
Holder Construction Company
Iq Custom Construction
Mccarthy Building Companies, Inc.
Mccrory Construction Company
Messer Construction Co.
North Point Custom Builders
Rodgers Builders, Inc.
The Whiting-turner Contracting Company
Trident Construction, Llc
Preparing for Your Career
• Develop excellent interpersonal skills to work with diverse populations
• Look for internships and jobs in to gain knowledge and experience
• Participation in internships and summer jobs in a relevant setting
How can I know if a Building Sciences major is right for me?
• Complete a self-assessment inventory at the Career Exploration Office in the Student Union to see how your interests, values, and personality match this major and related career fields.
• Schedule an appointment with a career counselor on careers.appstate.edu/Handshake
• Obtain direct experience by doing a job shadow
• Conduct an informational interview with a professional in the field
For more information on careers & job outlook: onetonline.org